Help for PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Archives

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER Home

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER  October 2005

PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER October 2005

Re: Making meanings from the archive

Jack Whitehead <[log in to unmask]>

Jack Whitehead <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 10 Oct 2005 08:28:40 +0100

I'm looking forward to exploring the educational significance of Pete's posting on
making meanings from the archive. It's going to take me a few weeks to digest and
think about  the significance of what you've done Pete and I can already feel the
quality of respect and sensitive appreciation for the other in your communication. I
also want to say how much I appreciate the time and care you have given to this
posting.

I know my own responses and contribution to the Site-Map are going to focus on the
values of originality, significance, rigour and validity of the explanations of
educational influence in learning produced by practitioner-researchers and
accessible from the Archive. I'm greatly impressed by Marian Naidoo's living theory
of responsive practice in her practitioner-researcher thesis on multi-professional
teams in the health service at:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~edsajw/naidoo.shtml

Of all the postings in the Archive, one that is having great significance for my
learning is Branko's contribution of the 3rd July 2005 below, where he produced a
visual narrative with three video-clips to show ten year old pupils', colleague's and
his own understandings of action research, creativity and validity.

"Dear friends,

I worked hard for two days and two nights to translate and title video recordings
where you could see live example of our effort to apply action research in our
educational practice.
First video (available at http://www.e-lar.net/videos/Creativity-en2.wmv 11 Mb ) was
starting point in Vesna Simic's and my action research. Our shared value is
creativity, so we try to find a way how to fulfil this value. We realised that creativity is
enough fulfil in her teaching of arts. But she confessed, and we find evidence for that
when we analysed video recordings of her teaching, that she realised subject
society and nature  on traditional and uncreative way. So we decided to improve
creativity in that part of her educational practice.
On second and third videos (available at http://www.e-lar.net/videos/AI2_0002.wmv
30.5 Mb and at http://www.e-lar.net/videos/Validation.wmv 29 Mb) we could find that
children should not be treated only as participants in action research of adults
(teachers) but also as co-researcher or standalone researchers. Marica Zovko,
class-teacher was mentor to her students and I was mentor to her. Her students
evidenced that they understand process of action research and know how to apply
them to improve their living practice.
Warm regards,
Branko"

I'll also respond to Moira's engaged and appreciative comments on Kathryn
Yeaman's 'Creating educative dialogue in an infant school classroom. My
educational journey' at

I'm not sure if the live links to the video-clips in Branko's note will be activated from
the copy of the letter above - here's trying another way:

First video 11Mb on Creativity.

<a
href"=http://www.e-lar.net/videos/Creativity-en2.wmv>http://www.e-lar.net/videos/Cre
ativity-en2.wmv</a>

Second video 30.5 Mb on Action Research

<a
href"=http://www.e-lar.net/videos/AI2_0002.wmv">http://www.e-lar.net/videos/AI2_00
02.wmv</a>

Third video 29Mb on Validation.

<a
href"="http://www.e-lar.net/videos/Validation.wmv">http://www.e-lar.net/videos/Valida
tion.wmv</a>

If none of these work - I know the links work from Branko's original posting of the 3rd
July, in the Archive.

Love Jack.