JiscMail Logo

Help for WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE Archives

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE Archives

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE Archives

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE Home

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE Home

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE  September 2005

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE September 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: art and its effect upon politics, economics and gastronomy

Millie Niss <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 19 Sep 2005 06:30:44 -0400

text/plain

I really enjoyed your post!  And I agree with the political and artistic
points although I question how bad UK food really is-- but I am an outsider
of course.

As someone who comes from the US, but who has visited the UK perhps a dozen
times over 30 years, I can tell you that the UK food avilable in restaurants
has indeed improved from my point of view, which is quite limited.  I can't
speak for what people serve at home, though I have certainly been served
good food in English homes (and also rather bad food).  In particular, there
are many, many more good foreign and ethnic restaurants in Britain than
there used to be.  It is a cliche, but I definitely think that one can
easily get inexpensive and good Indian and Pakistani food (from a variety of
regional cuisines) in the UK.

As I say, I can only guess about the UK which I have only visited
sporadically.  What I do know about is France, where I lived for 3 years
(not consecutively) and also spent maybe 18 full summers, went to school,
and ate in many people's houses. While French cuisisne is justifiably
admired throughout the world, what the French actually eat (especially
children, especially in school) is far ghastlier than what is eaten here in
the US and far worse than anything I have encountered in the UK.  The hot
lunches at my lycee were so terrible that I cannot describe them, and
moreover there were no facilities in the school where students could eat a
lunch brought from home.  Many students went home for lunch, but these were
obviously students whose parents could afford to feed them at home, and
primarily students with mothers who did not work who cooked them lunch at
home.

I have rarely encountered French food at someone's house that even remotely
resembles Frech Haute Cuisine.  A typical thing for a child to eat for
dinner -- I am thinking of a child I knew who preferred this to all other
meals -- is "jambon puree" (ham with mashed potatoes, where the mashed
potatoes were generally made from a powder).  The most favorite cheese for
children -- in the country of a thousand wonderful cheeses -- is "Vache Qui
Rit" (I believe it exists in the UK as "Laughing Cow") which is a vile
processed industrial product which does not resemble cheese.

France probably has worse socioeconomic problems than the UK -- it has
higher unemployment for example -- and there is a huge underclass of mainly
immigrants (mainly Muslim, too, causing all sorts of actual extremism and
much more racism and imtiolerance in response to the supposed extremism) who
live in extreme poverty and have no opportunities.So your conclusions about
the UK and poverty and food may well apply even more strongly to France.

Millie