JiscMail Logo

Help for WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE Archives

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE Archives

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE Archives

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE Home

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE Home

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE  September 2005

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE September 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: How will digital life affect human memory

Lawrence Upton <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 1 Sep 2005 12:10:02 +0100

text/plain

Friend of mine is suffering some memory loss and behaving "illogically".
Person sent to test her called her behaviour illogical. I  disagreed, saying
that she behaved very logically with inadequate data. Yes, she said, and
that's illogical

Which brings me to my next point - Can you tell me, she asked, addressing
the patient, What _A stitch in nine saves time_ means?

My friend then spoke at length on what a stupid statement this is,
coherently and thoroughly demolishing it in my view, making a strong case
against by anyone's

Yes, said the qualified assessor, but you havent actually say what it means;
and I must hear you say that. (Which reminds me of a book serialised on the
radio recently, by a swedish journalist suddenly incapacitated by disease.
How long did it take her to get dressed unaided? Answer: I can't get dressed
unaided. Response: Yes, but how long would that be? I can't get dressed by
myself. OK, fair enough; but if you don't have help, how will you need? For
ever. I'm sorry, I need a time)

Which tells me we need to be very careful how we assess memory loss. In my
friend's case, she is so clever it is often hard to tell if she knows what's
going on. She told me recently about a wonderful place she went to, a
wonderful garden she wished she could go back to. It was only when she said
they did some gardening there that I realised it was the end of her own
garden. Because her friends were cutting down the overgrown garden, she
joined in.

What interests me particularly about this is that the experience had been
transformed by a very small memory loss - the bit about walking down her
path. It's not a big garden but there is a tarmac footpath crossing it so it
seems more complex and distant than it is. And from that, datum loss, the
whole context of what she was doing was lost because most of her connections
now seem to be down to single links. When I go to see her, I watch as she
reconstructs who I am. I  used to think she was displeased; but she was,
from this point of view, booting up

One could argue for or against tech in this context. I read yesterday about
a domestic robot which issues _alarms and warnings_ (rather spirit of the
age) - rings people when you fall over etc

Since I entrusted myself to a pda I have found I am *less able to remember
what i am doing without reference to my pda and have de-entrusted myself to
it