BRITARCH August 2005

Re: Basic geography: Virtual Museum!

Michael Haseler <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 1 Aug 2005 11:06:24 +0100

Martin,

no trip to a museum is ever free - almost everyone has to pay for the trip
in someway in terms of travel time and cost.

The rational for not charging is that often those who we most want to go to
museums are least able to afford the price (i.e. children & schools).

But if my son's school were to arrange a trip to the so called "British"
museum, it would probably cost at least 100-200 - so a 5, 10 or even 50
ticket price per child would really add very little to the cost of a day
trip to the British Museum!

Either the British Museum is going to have to come to Scotland (which if we
mean central belt still means those in the Highlands are as far as we are
from London!), or the British Museum should create virtual access
exhibitions. (OR THEY SHOULD BE HONEST AND CHANGE THEIR NAME TO THE SE
ENGLAND MUSEUM!)

In many senses virtual exhibitions are much to be preferred:-

1. A school project on "gladiators" could have a 1 hour tour through all the
objects specific to the project from several different museums - each object
could have its own question and links to more information.

2. On random access exhibitions - Museum curators could track how visitors
navigate between objects and adjust the "exhibition" to make it more
worthwhile... they could even ask questions like "do you need more
information on this object" and if 90% say yes, then they know they need to
update the text.

3. Schools could use the museums as part of the their curriculum rather than
as a special one-off visit (with little ability to relate the articles seen
to real history!)

4. Schools could upload information to the museum - local history, projects
done by children.

5. The British Museum could host a multitude of "local" museums

(For British Museum read any so called "national" museum based in the SE!)

Mike