BRITARCH August 2005

Re: Vehicle advice

Pam White <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:38:54 +0100

I sent Nick an email off-list regarding Land Rovers buying advice.  I
am biased as I own 3 Land Rovers and its a bit of a passion in our
household, but Rob is quite right - there are a lot of good LR vehicles
out there and they can be as reliable as any other vehicle if properly
maintained - after all there isn't a right lot to go wrong with them as
the engineering is pretty basic stuff !  I think one of their main
advantages in a work situation is robustness  -  a few dents and
scratches add to the character and and body panels and other spares are
cheap to replace and readily available. There is a huge pattern-part
market so you don't need to go to a main dealer and the sheer quantity
of Land Rovers sold means a ready supply of second-hand parts from
private and trade suppliers.

Although they don't fall into the category of "small" 4x4, some of the
best buys at the moment are late 80s/early 90s Range Rovers and
Discoverys. You can pick up a 1990 Range Rover in moderate to good
condition at around 2K - tailgates might be a bit iffy but not too bad
to replace if need be. You get mod cons such as electric windows and
nice seats as well as excellent load space and off-road capability. Not
quite as robust as the Defender or Series  models but excellent value
for money. You can also stick LPG tanks in the V8 petrol models without
losing much load space and have a engine that sounds performs really
well, sounds very sweet and is so much kinder to the environment than a
smelly, noisy diesel.....

All in all, whatever marque chosen, its a matter of finding the right
vehicle for the job you want to do, in the right condition and at the
right price....not always an easy task so its as well to keep an open
mind when looking.

Cheers,
Pam

(Competition Secretary