BRITARCH August 2005

Re: Basic geography: Virtual Museum!

Edgar <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 1 Aug 2005 13:51:30 +0100

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 11:06:24 +0100, Michael Haseler <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Martin,
>
>no trip to a museum is ever free - almost everyone has to pay for the trip
>in someway in terms of travel time and cost.
>
>The rational for not charging is that often those who we most want to go
>museums are least able to afford the price (i.e. children & schools).
>
>But if my son's school were to arrange a trip to the so called "British"
>museum, it would probably cost at least 100-200 - so a 5, 10 or even
50
>ticket price per child would really add very little to the cost of a day
>trip to the British Museum!
>
>Either the British Museum is going to have to come to Scotland (which if
we
>mean central belt still means those in the Highlands are as far as we are
>from London!), or the British Museum should create virtual access
>exhibitions. (OR THEY SHOULD BE HONEST AND CHANGE THEIR NAME TO THE SE
>ENGLAND MUSEUM!)
>
>In many senses virtual exhibitions are much to be preferred:-
>
>1. A school project on "gladiators" could have a 1 hour tour through all
the
>objects specific to the project from several different museums - each
object
>could have its own question and links to more information.
>
>2. On random access exhibitions - Museum curators could track how visitors
>navigate between objects and adjust the "exhibition" to make it more
>worthwhile... they could even ask questions like "do you need more
>information on this object" and if 90% say yes, then they know they need
>update the text.
>
>3. Schools could use the museums as part of the their curriculum rather
than
>as a special one-off visit (with little ability to relate the articles
seen
>to real history!)
>
>4. Schools could upload information to the museum - local history,
projects
>done by children.
>
>5. The British Museum could host a multitude of "local" museums
>
>(For British Museum read any so called "national" museum based in the SE!)
>
>Mike
>

>> Not to mention all those damm foreign tourists - freeloaders cluttering
>> up the place!
>>
>> So - charge Londoners - a sort of Museum congestion charge - now that
>> would be popular.
>> Free for the rest of us English Taxpayers.
>> Scots and Welsh seem to want to be counted as foreign tourists?
>>
>> Martin Snow
>>
>> Anne Brundle wrote:
>> >
>> > Museums wish they could make on-line catalogues too, but
>> funding is a huge problem. The idea of using admission charges to
>> fund free on-line access is ingenious!
>> >
>> > Anne

>snipped<

Makes me wonder just what is required by the visitor.
Original researchers may require to see and even in some cases
handle objects in the Museum, while many others would better be
dealt with by something similar to the City of York project,(cant
remember it's name) where mockups and acting teach and hold
interest of the majority much better.
Who really needs to see the Domesday books? They are not going
to see the pages turned, and in any case, there are a number of
publications which offer a more readable text.

Further, the Public Records Office has some of it's contents online,
though I sense that copies of much of the other contents would
well serve places like County libraries. Delicate documents
would better be kept well away from sweaty and nervous hands.

Museums just cant move the bulk of their collections about,
and neither should they, but some of the very best of their
works could be copied and held in those museums in areas
regarded as the "provinces" and other places north of Watford.
From my point of view, I would love to see a perfect copy of
the Parthenon frieze at my local Museum for example, than
travel to the Great Snarlup of the Capital at great expense
and much wasted time travelling.

Edgar