CRISIS-FORUM  June 2005

CRISIS-FORUM June 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

UN World Environment Day Conference in SF

Robin <[log in to unmask]>

Robin <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Jun 2005 09:31:05 -0700

text/plain

All, from the great state of Calilfornia in the US of A ... the UN has been holding their
"UN World Environment Day" conference in San Francisco this week.
Information on it can be found here: http://www.wed2005.org/

A set of news articles about it can be found in the SF Chronicle, with pointers found
here: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/06/02/MNGUOD27721.DTL

At least there is one republican politician in the US giving some lip service to
the issue of climate change - our dear gov. Arnold S. and is quoted in one
artlcle:

"I say the debate is over," Schwarzenegger said in urging action. "We know the science,
we know the time for action is now. Global warming, pollution and the burning of fossil
fuels that caused it are threats we see here in California and everywhere around the world."

Here's the full text of the article on the gov. and california's "action plan".
Small steps, but necessary steps in the right direction.

Robin Tokmakian, in Calif.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, in a strongly-worded speech declaring global warming an imminent threat, announced broad goals Wednesday to reduce greenhouse gases in California that many environmentalists and scientists hailed as an effort that could have profound ramifications around the world.

Speaking at the United Nations World Environment Day conference in San Francisco, Schwarzenegger argued for curbing carbon dioxide and other gases emitted from cars, power plants and industry, which most experts believe are raising global temperatures and threatening water supply, air quality and human health in California.

The goals Schwarzenegger announced Wednesday are less aggressive in the short term than emission-reduction goals outlined in the Kyoto Protocol, which came into force in February, signed by 156 countries around the world, but not by the United States. Many of the specifics that Schwarzenegger administration officials pointed to as ways to meet the goals -- such as a law limiting tailpipe emissions in cars -- were already in place and first enacted by former Gov. Gray Davis. And some Democrats in Sacramento accused the governor of not going far enough.

But the Republican governor delivered a politically powerful message by saying the time for studying whether global warming is real has past -- a statement that seemed to rebuke many in his own party, including President Bush. And clean-air advocates noted that any move by a giant economy like California's to limit greenhouse gases could have financial and environmental impact around the globe.

"I say the debate is over," Schwarzenegger said in urging action. "We know the science, we know the time for action is now. Global warming, pollution and the burning of fossil fuels that caused it are threats we see here in California and everywhere around the world."

"We have no choice but to meet this challenge," he said to a cheering crowd of environmentalists and mayors assembled in San Francisco City Hall.

"The governor is a real-life climate action hero today," said Nancy Ryan, a senior economist with the group Environmental Defense.

Schwarzenegger signed an executive order calling for a slowdown of emissions by 2010 that would return the state to the level of emissions in the year 2000. By 2020, the order calls for the state to return to 1990 levels and by 2050, the state would be expected to reduce emissions by 80 percent below current levels.

Administration officials said they will pursue several strategies to meet the goals.

Cabinet Secretary Terry Tamminen, who was an environmental activist in Southern California before joining the Schwarzenegger administration, noted that Schwarzenegger has already signed an executive order requiring state- owned buildings to become significantly more energy efficient, which would cut down on electricity use.

The governor is also sponsoring legislation, dubbed the "Million Solar Roof" program, designed to increase the use of solar power in new home construction. The measure was approved by the state Senate Wednesday and must now work its way through the Assembly.

Schwarzenegger also is backing the state Public Utilities Commission's push to require utilities like PG&E to acquire 20 percent of the electricity they deliver to consumers from renewable sources by 2010. He said in his speech Wednesday that he supports moving the renewable power levels to one- third of utilities' portfolios by 2020.

He also supports a law enacted by Davis that will require new cars sold in California to emit less carbon dioxide, beginning with 2009 models. That law is being challenged in court by automakers, however.

Power plants and cars contribute about 70 percent of the state's greenhouse gas emissions.

Many scientists said Schwarzenegger's goals are important because they could help spur more technological innovations and set the stage for major emission reductions in the future.

For the long term, many economists, scientists and environmentalists believe the state should set up emission limits for industries and allow businesses to buy and sell emission permits, similar to a system already in place in Europe.

New England states that made a similar move toward emission limits in 2001 are now set to implement that system, referred to as cap-and-trade, noted Michael Hanemann, director of the California Climate Change Center at UC Berkeley. Enacting such a system in a major economy like California's would be an important global precedent, he said.

As the 10th largest emitter of greenhouse gases, California's every action is important, said Jason Mark, California director of the Union for Concerned Scientists.

"My sense is the governor's voice adds immeasurably," Mark said.

Whether the goals will cost consumers remains to be seen. Automakers have argued that car prices will rise in California with the emissions law and that Schwarzenegger's solar legislation could lead to a slight increase in power rates.

But many economists and administration officials argue that decreasing reliance on fossil fuels actually saves money. The Union of Concerned Scientists, an environmental group, estimates motorists could save $10 billion between 2009 and 2016 by driving more fuel efficient cars, for example.

Schwarzenegger has consistently portrayed himself as an environmental vanguard in his party, and the speech Wednesday seemed to further distance him from Bush and many California Republicans.

The president has refused to sign the Kyoto Protocol and has indicated that global warming needs further study.

Schwarzenegger said Wednesday that failing to address pollution caused by fossil fuels in the past was "our mistake."

"But now we do know better," he said. "And if we don't do anything about it, it would be our injustice."

And a day before the governor declared global warming a credible threat, three Assembly Republicans questioned it in speeches on the Assembly floor. Assemblyman Doug LaMalfa, R-Richvale, referred to global warming as a "dubious theory."

Legislation by Assemblyman Ira Ruskin, D-Redwood City, that would go further than Schwarzenegger's executive order and require stronger reductions in greenhouse gases, passed the Assembly with only one Republican vote.

Democrats attacked the governor this week for limiting his greenhouse gas initiative to an executive order, which could be overturned by the next governor, and for falling short of the Kyoto limits.

"The governor can do better," state Sen. Sheila Keuhl, D-Santa Monica, said at a press conference Tuesday.

Keuhl and others suggested the governor should agree to support the Ruskin measure or sponsor other legislation enacting the targets into law.