Help for WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE Archives

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE Archives

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE Archives

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE Home

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE Home

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE  May 2005

WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE May 2005

Re: The Great Firewall;help for anyone plagued by German spam..

Jeremy Hunsinger <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 May 2005 21:04:11 -0400

On May 24, 2005, at 7:50 AM, Susan Pritchard wrote:

> [...]
> will mean having to re do your various passwords) and if you don't
> know how..or even if you do.... download and use the following anti
> spyware
>
> ANTISPYWARE (these two can be installed together and, since they
> work with different soft technology, at times one gets what the
> other wouldn't). THEY HAVE to be run at least once a week - both,
> one after the other - or daily if you enter dangerous internet
> areas or download soft from not very reliable sources. Download.com
> (a place for dowloads) policy as from the past 1st May is NOT to
> ever offer again any products which MIGHT have any kind of adware
> or apps, and have eliminated all they were offering with such
> characteristics. Anything you download now from this source IS
> reliable adwarewise
>  The adaware will clean out your cookies  if you need it done,
> Lavasoft's "Ad-Aware Personal" (I love this one): http://
> www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>

> AND "Spybot Search and Destroy" at  http://www.safer-networking.org/
> en/download/
>
> These will clean out any crap you pick up while surfing..if you have
>
>  INternet Explorer..be sure to download their latest security
> package..for your platform www.msn.com/downloads  the hackers keep
> finding holes in it to exploit.
>
> If however, you gave that site your email addie..grit your teeth
> and just clean them up without EVER opening any; after a while the
> bot that sends them gets the messages..and stops.
> Alternatively you can buy some anti spam software that will sort
> them into a folder you can delete easily on a daily basis til the
> buggers get bored.
>
> I run a website for creatives, Dome2..where you can get all sorts
> of useful info plus advance warnings of whatever nasties are
> appearing on the Net..plus many other useful resources.
> Hope this helps
> Suzi Pritchard
> http://www.dome2.com
>
> Jim Pitt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> WHat kind of reply is that?
>
> --- Jim Pitt wrote:
> > Sue
> > I need to stop my listing as I'm starting to get
> > lots
> > of weird German e-mails , somehow linked to this
> > feed.
> > HELP please
> > JIM
>

> Sue Thomas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I am concerned by this article from OpenDemocracy. If true, it rather
> belies Google's positive image and raises questions about the long-
> held
> belief that the internet is able to route around censorship.
>
> Sue
>
> The Great Firewall of China
> Becky Hogge
> 20 - 5 - 2005
> Google is doing business with a communist China notorious for internet
> censorship. Not only techno-libertarians should worry, says Becky

Jeremy Hunsinger
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments