Research Leaders survey (Draft v6)

Pete Walker <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 12 May 2005 17:03:02 +0100

Dear All
Thanks to the many people who provided detailed feedback on the survey.
Approximately 20 institutions sent in comments, many providing views from a
number of staff.

Myself and colleagues at Bristol (Christian Carter, Catherine Garner) have
worked through the feedback and 2 further versions to arrive at:

<http://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/cros/rlv6>

I expect further changes can be made but of course we are hoping that we
are much closer to a final version.

Some specific points you might want to consider:

a) Do we need to add a "not applicable" to Q7.  "Are you reviewed through
the institution's appraisal/staff review scheme?" I think we might if there
are institutions with no scheme!

b) Q5b attempts to get some feel for how long ago a respondent might have
undertaken learning/training - is this question useful?

c) I've tried to cover the required permutations of "offered but not
taken", "not available" and "not applicable" in various questions. If
anyone disagrees with any of these let me know.

d) All questions are now optional (though a respondent would not be told
this)

Please can you get back any final comments by Monday 6th June.

Most institutions who have responded to date have said they would prefer to
run a common survey which allows comparison of result across institutions.

In my email of 24th March (link to archive below) I explained how we plan
to use the BOS survey tool (www.survey.bristol.ac.uk) to deliver the survey
and the likely costs (500+VAT for a basic BOS licence - allows you to
create any number of other surveys - plus 300+VAT for the Research Leaders
survey. Those who already have BOS would pay 300+VAT. These costs are per
annum)

Using BOS means that we can supply the survey to those who want to "go it
alone" and also those who want to join in a combined survey.

Once the final version is agreed (in June?), it would be possible for
anyone to take out a BOS account and have a version of the survey. This
might be useful if you intend to pilot the survey or append site-specific
questions.

Those who want to run alone could conceivably issue the survey whenever
they want.  Those who want to share results will have to wait until the
autumn as we need to make software changes. The comparing of results
features of CROS needed to be carried forward into BOS. This is more
complicated than it might appear as in CROS single surveys were being
issued whereas BOS allows the freedom to issue many surveys.

We are not planning to produce any posters or other supporting publicity
material in the way we have done for CROS but could investigate the
possible costs if enough institutions were interested. Let me know if you
might be.

Best wishes

Pete

Email of 24th March -
<http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0503&L=cros-inst&T=0&F=&S=&X=1CD6F400F789106766&Y=peter%2Ewalker%40bristol%2Eac%2Euk&P=633>

Pete Walker, Internet Development Manager
Institute for Learning and Research Technology (ILRT)
University of Bristol
8-10 Berkeley Square, Bristol, BS8 1HH
Web: www.ilrt.bristol.ac.uk
Tel: 0117 928 7192