Help for JISC-SHIBBOLETH Archives

JISC-SHIBBOLETH Archives

JISC-SHIBBOLETH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

JISC-SHIBBOLETH Home

JISC-SHIBBOLETH  April 2005

JISC-SHIBBOLETH April 2005

FW: [ATHENS] Security: Constant Vigilance needed; New Pope *is* a Catholic

"Paschoud,J" <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion list for Shibboleth developments <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:52:01 +0100

[Apologies for cross-posting, and to those who may be on JISC-SHIBBOLETH / MIDDLEWARE and ATHENS lists;  you'll have seen Lyn Norris' post to the latter already.  And to any Catholics who don't get the joke]

This incident demonstrates that publishing access passwords, or the means to derive them from other public information, err, isn't very clever.  Duh!

But I suspect it may be a widespread practice by libraries for defining at least initial Athens usernames/passwords.  I know of libraries that base allocated Athens passwords on the 4-digit PIN used as to access personal user information in proprietary library management systems.  Whilst not fully 'public', such PINs are often readable (not just reset-able) by any library staff with admin access to such library management systems, and so they breach the rule of being known by only one human user.

I wonder if Eduserv has collected any statistics on what proportion of it's 3million individual Athens users ever change the initial Athens password they're given, and how often.  (Feel free to reply off-list, Lyn...)

It may also serve as another evidential argument for devolved authentication (using either AthensDA or Shibboleth/SAML as the underpinning technology), *if* the assumption can be made that users and institutions will apply greater security to their 'important' passwords for institutional network access (and an increasing number of other resources)  - as opposed to their yet-another-access-password to get at some e-resources.

I don't have any clear evidence for these assumptions about end-user security attitudes/behaviour; I'm just guessing.  Can anyone point me to some?  The only study I can think of was done in NL a few years ago, and showed that if you enable a smartcard to buy *beer* (instead of just boring stuff like photocopying and network access), students look after it *really* carefully ;->

John