Help for CETIS-METADATA Archives

CETIS-METADATA Archives

CETIS-METADATA@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

CETIS-METADATA Home

CETIS-METADATA  February 2005

CETIS-METADATA February 2005

Re: LOM 9.1 Classification:Purpose- objective or competency

Simon Grant <[log in to unmask]>

Simon Grant <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:59:52 +0000

Hi Sarah and all

Yes, very much so!

In working for the SPWS project I have concluded that Competency and
Educational Objective are not quite the same, and have somewhat different
requirements to be represented effectively in RDCEO. (Independently,
Bernard Blandin has concluded that they should be distinguished.) For
background on SPWS and its work, you can go to
http://www.inst.co.uk/clients/jisc/SPWS/index.html
where the bottom link is to a Word document which details the approach.
The link is called "Introducing the skills meta-framework".
Our argument is a bit complex to represent in a few lines, but basically I
set out the case for why we should treat the two differently, and go on to
explaining my suggestions for how this could be done.

All feedback and further discussion most welcome.

Regards

Simon

--
Simon Grant, of North-West England