Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Spenser's songbook

Beth Quitslund <[log in to unmask]>

Sidney-Spenser Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:00:22 -0500

text/plain

At 02:44 PM 2/23/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>My own focus (temporary and fuzzy) on S&H concerned their headnotes--which
>owe a lot, eventually, to Calvin and Beza and go back, in content and
>approach, at least as far as Bucer (with much more historical elaboration
>than one finds in Catholic or from what I can make out Jewish tradition).

These are Whittingham's, or at any rate nearly identical to the headnotes
in the Geneva Bible. (With a couple of major departures that emphasize
liturgical use rather than Protestant commentary/polemic.)

>Beth, my "evidence" for something beyond psalm singing, as near as I can
>remember, came from one of the books edited by Clay long ago. The only one
>I own, though, says "private prayers"--it does include stuff to sing. I do
>think, though, that the non-psalm hymns such as the nunc dimittis do
>matter and complicated any "psalms only" assumption. I don't know how many
>congregations actually sang them or simply heard the priest/minister
>recite them.

There's evidence that in the relative liturgical chaos of Elizabeth's first
two years that some Londoners were singing the Te Deum congregationally,
and I have always assumed that the practice continued with the music
printed in S-H, though I can't back it up. But of course you're right,
Anne, that this is not "psalms-only," and I don't think any but separatists
or near-separatists in England ever hewed to that.  Even the Geneva exiles
wrote some non-psalm hymns.

>     I do think that "what did Spenser sing in church" is a huge topic and
>the evidence is complicated and would include hymns sung before of
>after the actual offical service. An EEB0 search of "hymnes" and
>"liturgie" turned up masses of material and I was particularly struck
>by John Boys's (STC 3458; 1610) efforts on image 113 to distinguish
>between psalms and hymns. This is helpful because so many people used
>"psalms and hymns" without seeming to distinguish.

A great reference. It's instructive, too, that Boys seems to assume that
non-scriptural hymns should be those written in the age of the spirit, i.e.
sometime before now. Though it's true that S-H included the hymn by Robert
Wisdom which caused much outrage among Catholics and, after the
Restoration, high Anglicans, by begging for protection from the Pope and
the Turk. On the dominance of S-H, though, I think it's important that
Wither in 1624 finds it necessary to point out that, despite what "the
vulgar" think, the use of S-H is *not* compulsory in the English Church.

>George Wither, in
>his ill fated book of hymns for church, also distinguishes among
>"canonical hymns," hymns by ordinary people early in the Christian
>era, and modern ones.

Which reminds me--Spenserians, of all people, might be interested in
Wither's defense of his hymn for St. George's Day, which he tells us that
the Stationers objected to on the grounds of popishness.  This he does by
affirming that no one could understand the name "St. George" as referring
to anyone but Christ, and that even if originally some completely clueless
people "mistook our Patron," it seems much more likely that it was intended
as an allegory all along (The Schollers Purgatorie, STC 25919, images 44-48).

This is after a very long argument as to why the Song of Solomon is fit for
children and ardent young men to sing in church.

>The canonical hymns are from the Bible, of
>course, and are hymns, not psalms. As somebody on the list remarked,
>they too may be found in S&H. It is the case that the great age of
>congregational hymns is yet to come, but there were efforts to write
>what we call "hymns" much earlier--in patristic times--and again in
>the Renaissance; as I said in an earier post, whatever is the case in
>those days, some of them are sung now.
>     I doubt there's a clear or simple answer to what Spenser would have
>sung in church, for the history of the C of E liturgy is complicated
>and shifting. Was there in fact variation in time and place in
>Spenser's day? Elizabeth's chapel was quite different from many a
>parish church. Judith Maltby might be a good person to ask, with her
>book on the BCP. Wither hoped his hymns, what we would call hymns and
>not psalms or "canonical hymns," but his own hymns, would be used in
>Church and James seemed cool with the idea even if the Stationers
>Company didn't cooperate. But would Bishop Parker have liked the idea?
>It's not always clear what "chant" means, either. Even when music was
>not congregational would he have been singing inside his own head?
>     Also a puzzle for me is the matter of special prayers published, I
>would assume, with the encouragement or even requirement of the
>authorities. Not just the special prayer for the Earl of Leicester's
>expedition, for examplel,but something more tuneful like "A godly
>ditty or prayer to be song unto God for the preservation of his
>Church, our Queene and realme, against all traytours, rebels, and
>papisticall enemies" (1569), which is a very handsome broadside
>(including a lion and Tudor dragon bearing the royal coat of arms)
>with instructions to sing it to the tune of psalm 137 "Or such lyke."
>Were such hymns/ditties ever sung in church even if before or after
>the service?

A great question! A number of accounts of outbursts of public patriotism in
Elizabeth's reign include psalms sung in the streets, and I'd bet that
ditties like this one were included; but that, of course, doesn't answer
the question of whether they might also be sung before or after service.