JiscMail Logo
Email discussion lists for the UK Education and Research communities

Help for UKHEPGRID Archives


UKHEPGRID Archives

UKHEPGRID Archives


UKHEPGRID@JISCMAIL.AC.UK


View:

Message:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

Font:

Proportional Font

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

UKHEPGRID Home

UKHEPGRID Home

UKHEPGRID  2005

UKHEPGRID 2005

Options

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Subject:

Minutes of the 179th GridPP PMB meeting

From:

Tony Doyle <[log in to unmask]>

Reply-To:

Tony Doyle <[log in to unmask]>

Date:

Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:45:29 +0100

Content-Type:

MULTIPART/MIXED

Parts/Attachments:

Parts/Attachments

TEXT/PLAIN (21 lines) , 050725.txt (1 lines)

Dear All,

     Please find attached the weekly GridPP Project Management
Board Meeting minutes. The latest minutes can be found each week in:

http://www.gridpp.ac.uk/php/pmb/minutes.php?latest

as well as being listed with other minutes at

http://www.gridpp.ac.uk/php/pmb/minutes.php

Cheers, Tony
________________________________________________________________________
Tony Doyle, GridPP Project Leader            Telephone: +44-141-330 5899
Rm 478, Kelvin Building                        Telefax: +44-141-330 5881
Dept of Physics and Astronomy           EMail: [log in to unmask]
University of Glasgow             Web: http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~doyle
G12 8QQ, UK                                      Video - IP: 194.36.1.32
________________________________________________________________________



GridPP PMB Minutes 179 - 25th July 2005 ======================================== Present: Dave Britton & Roger Jones (SKYPE), Steve Lloyd, Tony Doyle & Peter Clarke (COD), Dan Tovey by phone. Apologies: Tony Cass, Dave Kelsey, Robin Middleton, John Gordon, Sarah Pearce Agenda ------ 1. Preparations for LHC Exploitation Planning Review. ===================================================== TD said he wanted to check the three high level areas - Tier-1, Tier-2 and middleware in order to produce statements on post GridPP Planning. Tier-1: JG had prepared a document on Tier-1 for comments/discussion. PC added some text to JG's statement regarding UKERNA's connection from RAL to CERN. Constraint of 1 page is a limitation. JG and Andrew Sansum currently refining this. Tier-2: SL had also prepared a document and spreadsheet showing requirements. The main point was that 19 FTE had been reduced to 15. RJ felt that 80% salary costs to 2010 was under-estimating assumptions of FEC and therefore SL agreed to change this to "80% of the salary cost in 2007/2008, 100% in 2009/10 and 120% thereafter, although this is not guaranteed". TD said figures for production manager & regional Tier-2 centre co-ordinators (5 FTEs) were missing. It was agreed that these should be a separate line in the final document and not part of the Tier-2 cost. DB and TD would check the final input on Tier-1, Tier-2 and middleware to incorporate the data into a single spreadsheet which will state staff breakdown clearly and the costs involved in running a Grid. Middleware Input: RM was busy with EGEE phase 2 planning. RJ said he was unable to report on middleware at the moment but would prepare a draft. PC said he would provide him with some input for this. Note: RJ provided preliminary input on Tuesday. 2. GridPP14 Planning ==================== TD wished to discuss the proposed agenda for GridPP14 taking place 6th-7th September and said he had spoken to Pete Watkins and Maria Hobbs in Birmingham. Some draft URLs have been put in place. TD said he would like to have more open discussion sessions on the agenda, with an expert panel in each area for the areas which require it. The following are possible areas that could be discussed in a session with a panel and lead: 1. Post-GridPP2 Planning and e-Infrastructure broken into 3 areas. - the LHC exploitation review meeting is not until after GridPP14 (19/9/05), likewise (AHM 20-22/9/05) so there will be no input available, but the discussion would be used to inform these presentations. TD said we should think more about what's needed from 2008-2012. 2. Documentation Plans - Discussion is needed to determine priorities in this area. 3. Current problems in the Service Challenges - SC is ongoing - what are the problems? How can they be resolved etc? - It is hoped to have this as a discussion session TD added that appropriate panels would be suggested and each should have an appropriate chair. Necessary status reports are: (1) overview. - do we need a whole session? - PW suggested having this at the end in a summary (2) deployment status - production manager, Tier-1, 4xTier-2 (3) Midlands e-Science Centre (4) Grid Operations (not covered at GridPP13) 3. Dissemination Status - Application for GridPP Dissemination Grant ==================================================================== SP had forwarded an application from Cambridge for a student working to develop a Ganga demo. The board discussed this and agreed that funding should be awarded via PPARC grant through JeS. SP would get in touch with Andy Parker. STANDING ITEMS ============== SI-1 ALL: to provide any news items and meeting dates for the web page to SP. RJ said he would provide an item on Tier-1/Tier-2 transfers between Lancaster and RAL. SI-2 Production Manager's weekly report of issues. 2.6 will be released this week. ACTIONS ======= 167.3: RJ to define UK contacts for D0; CDF; BaBar; QCDGrid; ZEUS - who will respond on experiment operational issues. - done 167.5: DK to define a possible technical documentation role. - done - TD sent a description prior to the meeting. DK still to pass comment 170.2: RJ to invite representatives to talk to the PMB about GANGA status - done - this was covered in the presentation at GridPP13 177.1: Tier-1 Board (via TD) to review methods of evaluation for estimating experiment requirements. - done - base methods for UB request for short term funding showed that the current methods are robist. 178.1: JG, TC & TD to prepare Tier-1 input for LHC exploitation review - ongoing 178.2: SL, DB & TD to prepare Tier-2 input for LHC exploitation review - ongoing 178.3: RM, RJ & TD to prepare middleware input for LHC exploitation review - ongoing AOB === DT said there had been no nominations for the UB deputy chair which would be vacant as from September. The PMB agreed that that this should, in the first instance be a member of the LHCb collaboration. One person has been approached however and DT will discuss this further with TD. ACTIONS AS AT 25TH JULY 2005 ============================ 178.1: JG, TC & TD to prepare Tier-1 input for LHC exploitation review - ongoing 178.2: SL, DB & TD to prepare Tier-2 input for LHC exploitation review - ongoing 178.3: RM, RJ & TD to prepare middleware input for LHC exploitation review - ongoing

Top of Message | Previous Page | Permalink

JISCMail Tools


RSS Feeds and Sharing


Advanced Options


Archives

March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
October 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007
2006
2005
2004
2003
2002
2001
2000


WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Secured by F-Secure Anti-Virus CataList Email List Search Powered by the LISTSERV Email List Manager