Re: Active Transport

Andy Lake <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:37:58 -0000

text/plain

A very interesting discussion.

But I wonder about the need to have a new category of "active
transport", or the need to define it too tightly.

The use of value-laden words to describe individual types of transport
can lead to a tendency to think of one kind of transport as "good" and
another as "bad".  Hence the concerns in this discussion about motorised
wheelchairs and public transport not being included in the active
transport category.

"Active" is a positive term, but what are the consequences for the
labelling of other forms of transport  as "passive", or maybe
"inactive"? All forms of transport have their utility, and all may have
positive or negative effects in terms of allocating our "active"
resources of time and energy, and may have greater or lesser health and
well-being benefits at the personal, household or societal levels.  (If
we're talking about environmental benefits/disbenefits, then we might as
well just stick with "green" or "sustainable")

Interestingly, the term "active" is regularly used in the context of
"active ageing", where it has a broader meaning, and avoids "definition"
discussions about what is "in" and what is "out".

So, use of "active" in this context does not coincide with the
discussions on this list about active transport.  Active ageing involves
a range of activities/mindsets whereby one keeps active - or indeed
becomes more positively active.  It's about what keeps you fit and
active and included and being as autonomous as possible in the context
of your own abilities and aspirations.

This might involve more walking or cycling as a means of physical
fitness. Or it might involve getting out more for the sake of an
interest, or hobby, or tourism; or becoming a volunteer driver etc. In
the context of active ageing or overcoming mobility exclusion, using
"passive transport" may be the key to increased activity and all its
benefits.

So I wonder if talking of a new category (as it were) of active
transport will tend to confuse discussions about green transport and
sustainable mobility, etc.  At the end of the day we want to design
settlements and transport systems which reduce the need to travel (by
car), make services and facilities more easy to reach by walking, by
cycling and by inclusive motorised devices (wheelchairs, scooters, etc)
for those who have restricted mobility, reduce the vulnerability of
slower road users, and make public transport more useable and
convenient.

Against this agenda, there seems only limited merit in developing new
cross-cutting distinctions through definitions of "active transport".
In fact, it may also have a negative impact in terms of muddying the
waters in other agendas such as the Active Ageing one.

Andy
(see www.futureeast.org.uk for some background on active ageing issues)

Andy Lake
HOP Associates