MILITARCH  2005

MILITARCH 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: British and French fortifications on the American frontier

Jorel Jackson <[log in to unmask]>

Jorel Jackson <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Dec 2005 07:35:13 -0600

text/plain

Again, thanks for everyone's help. I've responded personally to some of
you. I've only now just realized maybe I should respond to the group as
a whole. This project was in danger of going away because I couldn't
find enough background information. I agree the work at Little Big Horn
was good. I used that as source information when as a teacher's
assistant I had to give a lecture on what I called the "Dakota Ojibwe
Conflict."

Ojibwe  began to organize into a tribal organization. They began to
move east. They came into what is now Minnesota ('smoke on the water')
from the north by east. As a result the people we now call the Dakota,
or Sioux (that latter is a pejorative term amongst the Dakota) were
pushed south. The border between these two peoples stabilized along the
Minnesota River (on which I live), and the area along the river turned
into a "debatable zone" or no man's land. Both tribes would hunt in
this area, but it was a risky proposition. Hunting parties were always
in danger of being ambushed. That was the background information for
the lecture. Really it was supposed to be a discussion about how we
could use archeology to find out more about the conflict (like what
kinds of fortified villages were constructed). It just so happened that
there was a Dakota Indian in the audience, and he didn't like some of
the things I was saying. In particular he didn't like it much when I
argued that the Dakota were pushed to the south. He said "we wanted to
go there anyways." That's one reason I decided to become more
interested in European sites, like French and British (and Spanish if I
ever move to the south west), because it's a much less sensitive area.
I'm less likely to be called a "grave robber" then. Currently, as I
said to someone else on this group, we've located a French fort through
geological survey methods (mostly through resistivity). On the high
resolution maps we've also found something that looks like it might be
a graveyard. Since it's probably French, the local Native Americans
don't care about that.

I envy the fact that in Europe people seem to be less sensitive to
these kinds of things. Of course I'm speaking from ignorance since I
don't live over there, and I've been to England on only two occasions
(which I enjoyed, esp. the ale).

Jorel