Re: Mindmaps

Louise McGill <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:31:51 -0000

text/plain

I'm sorry for the delay in answering this - the last two weeks have been
full of deadlines.

Would you mind saying a bit more about the '3
reflective logs'?  Was there a given structure/format for this
acitivity?

The 3 reflective logs comprised part of the assessed work for the 6 week
project (one log every two weeks).
Log 1: Students were asked to upload their team concept maps and reflect
on three areas

1. Understanding
Summarise how the concept map aided your team's understanding of the
design problem. (250 words max.)
2. Search strategy
Describe how you adapted your search strategy in different sources (such
as google, library catalogue, engineering databases, etc.), in
particular noting the use of search terms identified on your concept map
and any limits you decided to apply (such as date of publication,
material type, subject terms, internet domain, etc.) (250 words max.)

3. Organisation
Explain how you used the breakdown of subjects in the concept map to
structure your teams' file galleries and how far this was reflected in
the selection of search terms during the file uploading process. (250
words max.)

What impact do you think this task had on students generally and with
regard
to their learning how to learn

The purpose of the whole project was to provide experience of working in
collaborative design teams and gain practical experience of the various
elements of the design process (log 3 asked them to reflect on this).
Students responded well to the mapping exercise as it provided an early
focus for teams with very tight deadlines. This had a positive impact on
team communication and project management. Reflective logs revealed that
students did make connections between the design problem, their
information needs/searching and the organisation of this in the
groupware software.

Hope this is helpful.

Lou McGill
DIDET Project