Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Triangle Journals Ltd

"Fyfe, C." <[log in to unmask]>

An informal open list set up by the UK Serials Group <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:32:30 +0100

text/plain

Dear Sally

This would be extremely valuable. In my regular talks to publishers I highlight the uncertainty about continuing access to backsets as one of the key barriers/risk areas when libraries are considering an e-only strategy. I usually refer to the correspondence on lis-e-journals about the Journal of Fish Biology which is an excellent case study of what can happen if these issues are neglected. This saga also highlights the errors and fragmentation that can result when no-one is looking after the journal as a coherent whole - a role that libraries took in the print past. Society owners are sometimes blissfully unaware of these unintended consequences of changing publisher. I know the issues are complicated but chaos will ensue over the longer term unless we can find a way forward.

Regards

Christine

Christine Fyfe
University Librarian