Help for LIS-CILIP-REG Archives

LIS-CILIP-REG Archives

LIS-CILIP-REG@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIS-CILIP-REG Home

LIS-CILIP-REG  2005

LIS-CILIP-REG 2005

Re: International Trans-Border Information Transfer

"Smyth N.T." <[log in to unmask]>

Smyth N.T.

Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:57:16 +0100

Hi Marie,

I thought I would reply to this as you are in Wales and I am on the Career
Development Group Wales committee.

I was never really sure what it meant either but I made sure to mention some
international items, such as:

1. I have always maintained a professional interest in other library
sectors. I am currently a member or three special interest groups: Career
Development Group, Diversity Group, and International Library & Information.
I think it helps to be a member of this international group during
Chartership as it helps to identify some international issues and you can
develop a couple of short sentences.

2. If you attend any international conference then you can talk about how
you have developed an international perspective in a few short sentences.

3. If you read any international journal then you can talk about how you
have developed an international perspective in a few short sentences.

4. If you are on an e-mail list from another country you could mention that
and draw on some of the issues that are discussed. As a Chartership
candidate, you might be on [log in to unmask], which I think is still the e-mail
list of the American Library Association New Members Roundtable, or the next
generations list (supposed to be for those under 30) [log in to unmask]

5. Maybe you have a product or service at UWIC that is from another country
(and you do) which you could evaluate. Are any of the interlibrary loans at
UWIC international?

6. You could think about something in the news. You could go to the American
Library Association web site, http://www.ala.org/
(http://www.ala.org/ala/alonline/hurricanekatrinanews/katrinanews.htm), and
look at some of the latest news related to Hurricane Katrina and libraries.
Maybe you could even think about how blogs are changing the way information
is presented and transferred between borders, an example:
http://hughesforamerica.typepad.com/hughes_for_america/2005/08/august_2930_2
00.html.

I felt that these were areas that involved international trans-border
information transfer but I was really focussing on mentioning the
"international" and the "information". I tried to mention a few little
things throughout the report.

Hopefully there is something here for you to think about. I am sure others
will have different ideas and perhaps somebody from CILIP could explain what
the phrase means.

Ta-ra Marie,

Neil