LIHNN 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Doc del stuff in alternative format

"Addison John (RW6) PAHNT" <[log in to unmask]>

Addison John (RW6) PAHNT

Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:04:03 +0100

text/plain

If your email system carves off attachemtns when they go to/ are sent by the Lihnn list then you may not have received the three attachments on my last two emails. I hace pasted them into the body of the email for those f you similarly afflicted.

John

Doc del meeting
13th October
Warrington

1.	Need to agree the rule setting.
2.	Need to ensure that all local e-content is connected to elinks.
3.	Need to understand/agree what data is presented to the user within Dialog and SSE (ACTION WITH DIALOG & SSE)
4.	Need to agree standard rules for administration set-up and management
5.	Need to agree email protocol for enquiry management
6.	Content of the email request and confirmation to be agreed. The subject header should be default to assist inbox management (ACTION WITH DIALOG)
7.	A protocol on supply, non-supply is required.

doc  2
Document requesting/delivery service
Code of Practice for the request and supply of photocopies

Purpose

The purpose of this Code of Practice is to ensure that all participating libraries benefit from regional [and national periodical resources] in a way that spreads the workload evenly, minimises costs and improves the speed of delivery.

Requirements of scheme

*	Libraries must keep their holdings updated on elinks.  It is expected that changes in holdings as a result of subscription changes be done by the end of March and that any changes resulting from weeding should be updated within one month.

		-	This includes ensuring that local e-journals (such as electronic free with print and local e-subscriptions) are linked within elinks and maintained.

*	Requests must be spread evenly around network.  Library staff with responsibility for interlibrary photocopying must ensure that no individual library is overloaded with requests.   Where multiple requests have been made by a reader which could result in overloading a particular library, consideration should given to sending some to external agencies such as the BMA or British Library
*
*	Urgent requests should be made by telephone, and fulfilled by fax or first class post.
*
*	Incoming requests must be fulfilled within two working days under normal circumstances. Library services not able to respond within 2 working days must inform the network.  Exceptions will be made for requests from journals held in un-staffed libraries and for unavoidable problems caused by sickness or vacancies.
*
*	When returning photocopies requested via elinks, the request number must be written clearly on the photocopy or a copy of the printout of the report must be attached. The same mode must be used to reply to unsuccessful requests.  For failure of urgent requests, a telephone call should be made to the requesting library
*
*	In the event of sickness or annual leave of more than one week affecting the supply of photocopies, the library service elinks administrator should suspend the service. [The regional administrator - if local administrator is off sick?]
*
*	Library managers will be expected to sign a declaration of intention to comply with the code of practice, and are reminded that monitoring may be undertaken as part of the ongoing quality assurance process associated with accreditation of libraries

ILL codes

The system adopts BLDCS ILL codes. Those highlighted in blue are most relevant to the current service.

ABROAD... 	We have applied abroad for this item. The number quoted is the International Loan (IL) reference number. We will notify you of any subsequent searches. 	No action is required. It is essential, however, that you quote the IL number we have assigned on any correspondence, including Chasers.  You will find more information about Worldwide Searches in section 13 of the General Handbook.
ABS 	We do not hold the full text of the paper(s) you have asked for, but do hold an abstract/set of abstracts. 	If you want us to send you the abstract/set of abstracts, you will need to resend your complete request. Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. Add the message Abstract/set of abstracts acceptable, as appropriate.
BDG 	This item is being bound. We will supply your document as soon as possible (normally within a few days). 	If you don't want to wait for the item, you will need to resend your complete request. Follow the instructions on how to Cancel requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. Add the message Please remove from Bindery List.
BUP 	We have sent your request to one of our back-up libraries. 	Please allow 6 weeks from the date of this reply before chasing this request. If we send you this reply again for the same request, it is because we have sent the request to another back-up library after the first could not supply your document.
CANC 	This request has now been cancelled, as you requested.
CAT... 	We are cataloguing this and it is therefore not available. Please reapply after the number of weeks quoted. 	If you wish to reapply, please resend your complete request after the specified number of weeks.  Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook.
CONF... 	We cannot trace this conference from the information quoted. You should reapply only if you can tell us the extra information we have asked for. 	If you can provide the extra information, change the details on your request and resend it.  Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook.
CRF... 	We cannot satisfy your request from the information quoted. You should reapply only if you can tell us the extra information we have asked for. 	If you can provide the extra information, change the bibliographic details on your request and resend it.  Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. Quote details of your source of reference, if possible.
CRF/ANI 	We hold the title you want, but the author/article that you have quoted is not in it. 	Please do not reapply unless you change your details. If reapplying, amend the bibliographic details on your request and resend it.  Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. Quote details of your source of reference, if possible.
CRF/ART 	We hold the title you want, but the page numbers that you have quoted do not match an article. We need the article title and/or the author's name. 	Please do not reapply unless you change your details. If reapplying, supply details of the article you require and its author. Amend the details on your request and resend it.  Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. Quote details of your source of reference, if possible.
CRF/DNF 	We cannot trace an exact match for the details quoted in your request. The year/volume and/or the part number does not correspond with any of our stock holdings. 	Please do not reapply unless you change your details. If reapplying, amend the bibliographic details on your request and resend it.  Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. Quote details of your source of reference, if possible.
DIRECT 	This item is not available from our document supply collection. We are sending you details, in the mail, of a supplier that may be able to help. 	Apply direct to the named supplier, following any instructions given. We may have charged a search fee, if it was applicable.
dl 	We are not willing to lend this item. 	dl
dl home 	We are not willing to lend this item for home reading. 	dl home
DUE	The item you have on loan is overdue, but nobody else is waiting for the item. You must either return it immediately or apply for a renewal of the loan. DUE* Automatic Renewal Pending means that you have reached the end of the loan period but no other customers are waiting for the item. If you want to renew the loan, you need do nothing at all. We will then automatically renew the loan for a further period and charge your account. If you do not want to keep the item any longer, return it to us within 10 days.	If you cannot return the loan or have already sent it back to us, you will need to contact us. Follow the instructions on how to reply to DUE messages in section 14 of the General Handbook.
dl 	We are not willing to lend this item. 	dl
dl home 	We are not willing to lend this item for home reading. 	dl home
DUE BILL 	The item you have on loan has not been returned, despite an earlier DUE message. We are preparing to charge you to cover the cost involved in replacing the item. You must contact us or return the item immediately or we will send you an invoice to cover the costs involved, including an administration charge that is not refundable. You cannot now apply to renew this loan. 	It is essential that you now return the item or contact us. Follow the instructions on how to reply to DUE BILL messages in section 14 of the General Handbook.
DUE WAIT 	Another customer has asked for the item that you have on loan. You can still keep the item for the rest of the loan period, but you cannot now apply for a renewal.	Return the item on, or before, the return date. If you cannot return the loan or have already sent it back to us, you will need to contact us. Follow the instructions on how to reply to DUE WAIT messages in section 14 of the General Handbook.
DUP... 	This item is already on loan to you on the request number given. 	If the second request is needed for a different end user, you may reapply. Indicate clearly on your request that the item is required for another user and resend it. Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. We will then add the request to the Waiting List.
ERR 	We cannot trace the requested item as quoted, despite an extensive search. Your source of reference may be incorrect. 	You should not reapply unless you can change or add to your details. If reapplying, amend the bibliographic details on your request and resend it.  Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook.
FAILED WWS... 	We regret that this item is not available from abroad. We have cancelled your request. 	No further action is required. You will find more information about Worldwide Searches in section 13 of the General Handbook.
FICHE 	We can only supply this item on microfiche. 	If you want us to send you this item on microfiche, you should resend your request. Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. Add the message Fiche acceptable.
FILM 	We can only supply this item on microfilm. 	If you want us to send you this item on microfilm, you should resend your request. Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. Add the message Film acceptable.
HW... 	We have added your request to a Waiting List, but the item is in very high demand. We will be trying to buy additional copies, if this is possible, but it is likely to be several months before we can lend it to you. The number after HW gives your position on the Waiting List. 	If you do not want to wait, you can ask us to take your request off the Waiting List. Follow the instructions on how to Cancel requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. Add the message Please remove from Waiting List.
LOC... 	According to our records, these location libraries should be able to supply the item you want. You need to apply to them direct, rather than through the British Library. 	Check the Directory of Library Codes <http://www.bl.uk/services/document/dlc1.html> (www.bl.uk/librarycodes) for contact details of the organisations quoted. Please take note of any conditions or restrictions that they impose. Section 13 of the General Handbook tells you more about how you can apply to location libraries.
loc search 	We are searching for locations.
LONDON 	We have sent your request to our London collections for checking. Any correspondence following this Reply Code should still go through our document supply services. 	There may be a slight delay before you receive the item or a further response. Lending and copying restrictions apply to some parts of the London collections. Normal chasing times apply from the date of this message. You need not respond to this message, it has been sent for information only.
LOST 	We do not have this item. It has been lost and cannot be replaced. 	If you still want this item, please resend your complete request and upgrade your search level as appropriate. Follow the instructions on how to upgrade your search level in section 13 of the General Handbook.
MAIL... 	A detailed reply will be attached to your request and returned to you by mail. A short message after the MAIL code will give an indication of why we are returning your request. 	You do not need to take any action until you receive your request by post.
MISS... 	This item is missing from our stock, but it may be available if you reapply after the number of weeks quoted. 	If you wish to reapply, resend your request after the specified number of weeks. Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook.
NCANC 	We cannot cancel your request, because it is not on a Waiting List. 	We can only cancel requests that we have added to Waiting Lists. According to our records, the item has already been supplied to you, or you have been sent a Reply Code. If you think that you have not received the item, or you are still uncertain about the status of your request, contact the Cancellations Section:
NCHASE 	It is too early to chase this request. 	If two weeks after you sent us the original request you have still had no response, please chase again.
NCOP 	Copyright law does not allow us to copy this item without permission of the publisher or rights holder. The additional payment of a copyright fee might permit copying under these circumstances. Alternatively, if you are registered as an organisation, you will usually be able to order the item on loan. 	If you still want the item, resend your request as a Copyright Fee Paid or a Loan request. You will find full information about the Copyright Fee Paid service in section 6 of the General Handbook. Section 12 of the General Handbook tells you how to resend requests.
NCPAP 	The paper you have asked for may have been presented at the conference but it has not been included in the published proceedings.
nfict 	Not held. 	Try Fiction Reserves.
NLOAN... 	This item will only be made available for loan after the date quoted. It may be possible to supply you with a photocopy of an article before this date. 	PHOTOCOPY You may reapply immediately for a photocopy of any part of this item, subject to copyright regulations. Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. Remember to change any references to asking for a loan. LOAN If you still wish to have the item on loan, wait until after the date given and then resend your complete request. Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook.
NMULT 	Copyright law does not allow multiple copies of a single article, or copies of more than one article from a single issue, to be made for the same end user without payment of copyright fees on each copy. 	If you still want the items, resend your requests as Copyright Fee Paid requests. You will find full information about the Copyright Fee Paid service in section 6 of the General Handbook and section 12 tells you how to resend requests. Alternatively, if you want more than 3 copies of an article, contact Customer Services.
NOE... 	We do not hold the specific edition you have asked for. We do, however, hold the alternative edition indicated. 	If you want us to send you the edition offered, amend the edition details originally quoted and resend your request. Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. If you want to continue the search for the specified edition, please resend your complete request and upgrade your search level as appropriate. Follow the instructions on how to upgrade your search level in section 13 of the General Handbook.
NOP 	We do not have this item. The journal issue you want is not in our collection. 	If you want us to search further, please resend your complete request and upgrade your search level as appropriate. Follow the instructions on how to upgrade your search level in section 13 of the General Handbook.
NO RENEW 	The item you have on loan cannot be renewed. 	Please return the item as soon as possible, not later than the end of the loan period. Any automatic extension of the loan period is now cancelled.
nos 	Not on shelf. 	We cannot look for this item at present.
NOT 	We do not have this item. The book or journal title you want is not in our collection. 	If you want us to search further, please resend your complete request and upgrade your search level as appropriate. Follow the instructions on how to upgrade your search level in section 13 of the General Handbook.
NPUB 	We have not been able to confirm that this item has been published. 	If you can give some evidence of publication, resend your complete request. Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. Quote details of your source of reference.
NPUR 	We do not have this item and have decided not to buy it. This might be because the item is out of scope for our collections or is too expensive. 	If you want us to search further, please resend your complete request and upgrade your search level as appropriate. Follow the instructions on how to upgrade your search level in section 13 of the General Handbook.
NPUR/NA 	We do not have this item. We are unable to buy it because it is not available. 	If you want us to search further, please resend your complete request and upgrade your search level as appropriate. Follow the instructions on how to upgrade your search level in section 13 of the General Handbook.
nq 	We are unable to supply this item immediately.
nrl 	No locations traced within the region.
NTRANS 	We have no record of a translation of this document, at the British Library or elsewhere, and we do not hold the original.
NUKL 	Unfortunately, we cannot trace any locations willing/able to supply in the UK or Ireland from the records we have available. 	UK and Irish-based customers can ask to upgrade their search to include libraries worldwide. Follow the instructions on how to upgrade your search level in section 13 of the General Handbook.
olwl 	This item is on loan. Your request has been added to a Waiting List. 	The item is due back on the date indicated. If you wish to cancel the request, contact the library.
O/O... 	We are buying this item, but we have not added your request to a Waiting List. The item might be available if you reapply after the number of weeks quoted. 	If you wish to reapply, please resend your complete request after the specified number of weeks.  Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook.
O/O NLOAN... 	We are buying this item. When it is received, however, it will not be available for loan for six months. 	PHOTOCOPY You may reapply immediately for a photocopy of any part of this item, subject to copyright regulations. We will then add your request to a Waiting List. Change your request to give clear bibliographic details of the article you require, then resend it. Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. Add the message Please add to O/O Waiting List.  LOAN If you still wish to have the item on loan, wait the number of weeks specified and then resend your complete request. Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook.
O/O WL... 	We are buying this item and have added your request to a Waiting List ready for when it arrives. An acquisition number might follow this Reply Code. 	Please wait at least 16 weeks before chasing this request. If you don't want to wait for the item, you will need to resend your complete request.  Follow the instructions on how to Cancel requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. Add the message Please remove from O/O WL followed by any acquisition number we gave you.
ORIG 	We do not hold an English translation of this item. We hold it in the original language only. 	If you want us to send you this item in the original language, you should resend your request without mentioning 'Translation Only' (TRANSON). Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. Add the message ORIG acceptable.
ORIG AB 	We do not hold an English translation of this item. We hold it in the original language with an English abstract. 	If you want us to send you this item in the original language, you should resend your request without mentioning 'Translation Only' (TRANSON). Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. Add the message ORIG AB acceptable.
own 	According to our records, this is held in your own stock. 	If it is no longer held, approach one of the locations listed.
PAP 	There is no bound volume of papers for this conference. We hold separate, numbered papers only. 	For copyright reasons, we will normally only be able to supply the paper on loan. If you can, add the paper number and/or author/title to the bibliographic details on your request and resend it. Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. Quote details of your source of reference, if possible.
qor 	Please quote the source of reference. 	We cannot help further unless you are able to do this.
RCOP 	We cannot copy this item because it is not covered by our copyright licensing arrangements. If you are registered as an organisation, we can still send a copy on loan. 	If you still want the item, resend your request as a Loan request. Section 12 of the General Handbook tells you how to resend requests.
RCOP/NLOAN... 	We cannot copy this item because it is not covered by our copyright licensing arrangements. It is also not available for loan until after the date given. 	We can still supply a loan copy, if you are registered for the Loan Service. First wait the required length of time, then resend your request as a Loan request. Section 12 of the General Handbook tells you how to resend requests.
REF... 	According to our records, there are no lending locations in the UK or Ireland. These libraries should be able to offer the item you want in their reference section, or may be able to supply a photocopy.  You need to apply to them direct, rather than through the British Library. 	Check the Directory of Library Codes <http://www.bl.uk/services/document/dlc1.html> for contact details for the organisations quoted. Please take note of any conditions or restrictions that they impose. Section 13 of the General Handbook tells you more about how you can apply to location libraries.
ref locr... 	There are no lending locations within the region. It is available, for reference only, in the locations provided.
RENEWED... 	Your loan has been renewed. Normal loan conditions apply.  For UK and Irish customers, the date after the Reply Code is the new return date. For international customers, the new return date is is 4 weeks from the date on which the new loan period begins. 	Usually, you need take no further action, other than returning the item at the end of the new loan period.
RESUPPL... 	In response to your enquiry, we have re-supplied the document on the date indicated. 	You need take no further action.
SHIPPED 	We have supplied the requested item has a retention copy. This message will be followed by an indication of the method of delivery: Copy (postal photocopy), Electronically (SED or Ariel), Fax or Micro (microform). 	This Reply Code will only be present if you have asked us to send you "shipped" information in your Replies In-tray. Please allow time for postal delivery, and only chase items after the usual period.
SHIPPED LOAN 	The requested item has been sent to you on loan. 	This Reply Code will only be present if you have asked us to send you "shipped" information in your Replies In-tray. Please allow time for postal delivery, and only chase items after the usual period.
SUPPL... 	In response to your Chaser message, the item has been sent on the date given. 	If you have not received the item within two weeks of the indicated supply date, contact the Chaser Team:
TOTAL LOAN... 	The item you have asked for is published in more than one volume or parts. In order to keep a clear record on our shelves, we need a separate completed request for each volume/part you require on loan.  The number after the code is the total number of separate requests you should transmit if you require the whole work on loan. 	You may reapply for the complete work, a single volume/part, or if you want a photocopy you can provide details of a specific article. If you require more than one volume/part on loan, you must send separate requests, one for each volume/part you want. Repeat the full details and add the volume/part number for each request. If you only require a single volume/part on loan, resend your request. Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. Change the bibliographic details to indicate clearly which volume/part you want. If you require a photocopy of an article, resend your request. Follow the instructions on how to resend requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. Change the bibliographic details to indicate clearly which article you want.
USE O/D 	Your request is still on the Waiting List but, unfortunately, the item is considerably overdue. We are urgently recalling the item from the customer that has it on loan. 	If you do not want to wait, you can ask us to take your request off the Waiting List. Follow the instructions on how to Cancel requests in section 12 of the General Handbook. Add the message Please remove from Waiting List.
wd	This item has been withdrawn from stock
wlnr	There is a Waiting List for this item. We are not willing to reserve it
wlr	There is a Waiting List for this item. We are willing to reserve it.
wd	This item has been withdrawn from stock

Code of Practice for the supply of photocopies

Declaration

I undertake to comply with the requirements of the Code of Practice for the supply of photocopies.  I understand that if I am unable to participate fully I should contact the Lead Librarian or my accreditation facilitator for advice.

Signed		..........................................................................................

Title		...........................................................................................

Library or libraries managed (Codes are sufficient)  ............................................

Please sign and return to

Doc 3

INTRODUCTION

This protocol has been prepared by the Joint Inter Lending and Document Supply Group (JILDDG) in order to facilitate the efficient and considerate operation of our network document supply scheme. It is a code of conduct, which specifies standards for document delivery and outlines the responsibilities of both requesting and supplying libraries. This document deals only with the specific aspects of document supply. Please refer to the Protocol for the inter-library supply of books for details of book loans. Please ensure that all library staff who deal with inter library lending and document supply are familiar with its contents. It will be reviewed at least annually.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE REQUESTING LIBRARY
1 Selection of locations

	a)	Use libraries within your own Strategic Health Authority (SHA) before libraries elsewhere in the network. Lists of libraries in the SHAs have been prepared and are available on the JILDDG website, or you can print them from the on-line HLN directory at http://stlis.thenhs.com/hln/ directory
	b)	Use libraries elsewhere within the network before approaching last resort libraries. Charging libraries may be approached at any time but remember that they do charge.
	c)	Bear in mind that some libraries are not staffed each day, and will therefore take longer to respond (see page 3)
	d)	Remember to obtain a signed copyright declaration form when making requests from non-NHS libraries.

Libraries which charge for photocopies: (see appendix A for actual charges)  BSL Southampton University " GEL University of Surrey GEO St George's HSL Southampton General Hospital IOP Institute of Psychiatry (London) LGR Guy's, King's & St Thomas' LGY, LGYD King's College libraries & branches LKC, LKCN " STH " LTH St Thomas's Hospital SUL Southampton University 	Libraries which are permanent last resorts:  BETH Bethlem Royal Hospital CL, CL:RI, Cairns Library and branches CL:CH, IHS DMSTC Keogh Barracks, Aldershot IMM Institute of Molecular Medicine KMK Mid Kent College Higher...Education LGP Medical Toxicology Unit, London LGYDI Regional Medicines Info...Guy's MCTC McTimoney College of Chiropractic NOC Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre RI:NDA Radcliffe Infirmary, Dept of Anaes SCH St Christopher's Hospice

Service levels and response times:

Level 1 libraries, which are staffed each day, should, under normal circumstances, respond to photocopy requests within 24 hours of receipt or next working day.

Level 2 libraries, which are staffed less frequently, are likely to take longer to respond.

Claiming temporary last resort status:

Libraries which would normally provide a Level 1 or Level 2 service but which are temporarily closed, insufficiently staffed or where stock is temporarily unavailable, may claim temporary last resort status, providing the library service is disrupted for two weeks or more. Librarians should e-mail the HLN list with details and remember to send another e-mail when the library is fully functioning.

Claiming permanent last resort status:

In exceptional circumstances, libraries may request permanent last resort status on application to JILDDG. Requests made directly to the Pembury Unit will be referred to JILDDG for consideration. Libraries may be asked to provide data of the number of interlibrary loans and photocopies requested and supplied before their request can be approved. Once granted, JILDDG will notify the Pembury Unit so that this information is included on the HLN Union List of Serials and Directory listings. The annual update of the SENDS protocols will reflect the change in status - the appendices to the protocols will be amended more frequently.

Charging libraries and changes to charges:

Libraries that charge for supply of articles should contact a member of JILDDG if they wish to change their prices or procedure for charging, preferably at least four weeks before the changes are due to be introduced. The JILDDG chairs will ensure that protocols and the appendix of charges are updated and that SENDS network members are notified of changes via the relevant mailing lists. JILDDG will also contact all charging libraries once a year to check that the information held on charges is still current.
2 Copyright

It is the responsibility of the requesting library to ensure that the requests they make do not infringe Copyright. For further information, see the JILDDG fact sheet on The NHS
CLA Photocopying Licence & Inter-Library Photocopy Supply.

3 Making requests

	a)	Send routine requests by e-mail, fax or post. If you send requests by any of these means, you should assume that they will be processed routinely. Use the telephone for urgent requests. If sending requests by e-mail, please use a generic e-mail address which includes your library code. Send one request per e-mail. There is no need to reply to the email except if a request cannot be satisfied. In that case, inform the requesting library or forward the request to the next location on the request form.
	b)	No more than one request should be detailed on the request form. Any format of request form may be used, provided all the required information (see section 4) is clearly legible. A template form is available at <http://stlis.thenhs.com/hln/groups/jilddg/> which can be used if a suitable form is not in place locally.
	c)	Requesting libraries should send an address label for return by post, if appropriate.
	d)	When selecting locations, check holdings as well as titles to make sure that the locations you approach have the journal for the dates that you require. Also make sure that the journal year and volume tally. Occasionally, libraries across schemes will have the same or similar codes - please ensure that requests are sent to the correct library.
	e)	Include up to 3 locations per request. Ensure that the location codes are clearly legible.
	f)	Do not send more than 3 requests to any one location per day.
	g)	Do not request more than two articles from any one journal issue for NHS reader(s) from an NHS library and no more than one article from any one journal issue for other readers and from other types of library. The source library may be prepared to lend the whole issue, but this will be at the discretion of the librarian
	h)	Do not request multiple copies of single items. Even though NHS readers are entitled to a certain number of copies of single items under the NHS Photocopying Licence, it is unfair to expect other libraries to supply multiple copies. A source library may be prepared to lend the whole issue, but this will be at the discretion of the librarian.
	i)	Do not request articles that you are able to access in full-text electronic format, without good reason, e.g. server down.
	j)	If you require an article or articles that amount to more than 30 pages, we advise first making a courtesy call to the supplying library. The source library may be prepared to lend the whole issue, but this will be at the discretion of the librarian.
	k)	Under the Copyright Act, libraries covered by the NHS CLA licence must continue to collect copyright declarations from their readers for requests made to non-NHS libraries. These must be held by the requesting library and not sent to the supplying library (see 4c below).
4 Information required on request forms

	a)	Whether the form is sent by e-mail, fax or post, the following should be included and must be legible:

		*	Requesting library code and full postal address (at the top of the form)
		*	Self-addressed label, or, in the case of fax/email, the address in such a format that it can be cut out and used as a mailing label
		*	Journal title (in full - use abbreviations only if widely acceptable)
		*	Year, volume and part number or date of issue (where available), and pages of article
		*	Author and/or title of article (where available)

	b)	Requests which fall short of this standard are sent on the clear understanding that the supplying library is under no obligation to check bibliographical details, and may return unclear or inaccurate requests.
	c)	Under the terms of the Data Protection Act, reader identifiable information (i.e. reader name and address) should not be included on requests sent to other libraries. An alternative would be to substitute a unique reader number or include reader surname only on request forms.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE SUPPLYING LIBRARY
5 Supplying items

	a)	Requests should be processed as soon as possible (within 24 hours of receipt or next working day for Level 1 libraries).
	b)	Photocopies may be single or double-sided, and made on A4 or A3 paper.
	c)	Photocopies should be clear, clean and properly collated.
	d)	Ensure that the photocopy includes the full journal source and the requesting library's request number, if given, so that the receiving library can identify the copy.
	e)	For statistical purposes, it must be clear to the requesting library which library has supplied the photocopy, and the date it was supplied. Ensure this is either indicated on the returned request form, or on a compliment slip.
	f)	Care should be taken to ensure that the photocopy is sent to the requesting library, and not inadvertently sent to the next location on the list.
	g)	Photocopies should be supplied by first class post if possible (it is recognised that many libraries do not have the option of sending items first class). Photocopies may be supplied by fax if urgent, by prior agreement.
	h)	Supplying libraries reserve the right to decline to fulfil a request but must provide a reason for their decisions, e.g. inadequate reference, article too long, not within the bounds of copyright, etc.
	i)	Should request forms include reader details, supplying libraries must treat them as confidential, and not leave them where unauthorised persons may be able to access them.
	j)	Under the terms of the Copyright Act, supplying libraries are not required to collect signatures (copyright declarations) for requests supplied to other libraries. It is the responsibility of the requesting library to ensure their requests comply with copyright regulations.
6 Requests which cannot be satisfied

	a)	If you cannot supply the photocopy, indicate the reason alongside your library code on the request form. The abbreviations below are widely recognised, but use a fuller explanation if appropriate.

		*	MFS missing from stock
		*	OL on loan
		*	Joint Inter Lending and Document Delivery Group - June 2005 6
		*	OO on order
		*	NH not held
		*	RO reference only
		*	NYR not yet received
		*	AB at binders
		*	IR inadequate reference

	b)	Forward the form immediately to the next location on the list unless a) there is a problem with the reference, or b) there are no other locations. In both cases, the request form should be returned immediately to the requesting library, with an explanatory note. Forms with faulty references must be returned to the requesting library; do not send these forms to the next location on a list.
	c)	If a request that is URGENT cannot be supplied, notify the requesting library of this immediately.
	d)	Requests received by e-mail or fax which cannot be satisfied should be forwarded or returned, as appropriate, as soon as possible. Post, e-mail or fax may be used to forward or return requests regardless of the means used to send the original request.
7 Electronic Journals

	a)	Subscriptions to national and regional electronic journals are included in the Union Lists.
	b)	Libraries with access to full-text electronic versions should not request photocopies of articles without good reason, e.g. server down.
	c)	The situation regarding provision of inter-library copies of articles from full-text electronic journals is dependent on individual publisher licence agreements. Accordingly, librarians may be prepared to supply copies from e-journals to fulfil network requests, but may prefer to adopt the blanket approach of many HE libraries, and not supply copies from e-journals to other libraries.
8 E-MAIL REQUESTS

	a)	E-mail may be used to request items, provided the requests fulfil the conditions and contain all the information described above. Use a generic e-mail address, include your library code and send one request per e-mail.
	b)	Requests received by email should be dealt with routinely, not as urgent unless stated as such.
	c)	Unless otherwise indicated in the directory, all libraries will receive requests by e-mail, but reserve the right to forward or respond to those requests by post or fax. The items themselves will generally be supplied by post.
9 FAX REQUESTS

	a)	Fax may be used to request items, provided the requests fulfil the conditions and contain all the information described above.
	b)	Requests received by fax should be dealt with routinely, not as urgent unless stated as such.
	c)	Unless otherwise indicated in the directory, all libraries will receive requests by fax, but reserve the right to forward or respond to those requests by another method. The items themselves will generally be supplied by post.
	d)	Under Copyright legislation, items may be supplied by fax, but the original photocopy must be destroyed if supplied by a non-NHS library. This is the responsibility of the supplying library.
10 RESPONSIBILITIES TO THE NETWORK

Network member libraries must:

	a)	Maintain statistics of items requested and supplied via the network.
	b)	If a library wishes to claim temporary last resort status, put a message on the HLN mailing list. Remember to send another message to the list when the library is functioning normally.
	c)	Contact the JILDDG if they wish to apply for permanent last resort status or to notify of changes in charging policies and procedures.
	d)	Inform the Pembury Unit about changes to their contact details, staffed open times and fax/e-mail preferences.
	e)	Inform the Pembury Unit about all changes in journal holdings, as they occur.
	f)	Inform the Pembury Unit if incorrect information is displayed on the database, as soon as possible to ensure that the database is consistently accurate. Please ensure that email addresses are correct and inform the Pembury Unit of any errors or changes.
	g)	Refer to the Union List before disposing of journal back-runs, and do not dispose of unique holdings without prior consultation with the JILDDG.
	h)	Before disposing of journal back-runs, offer them to other libraries via duplicates exchange schemes such as the Medical Libraries Duplicates Scheme (lismedjournalsduplicates) which can be subscribed to via JISC.
	i)	Try to resolve any particular difficulties in supply with the library involved. Notify the JILDDG about any unsolved or general problems, and with any suggested improvements to operation of the scheme. Please consult the JILDDG prior to sending general e-mails about the scheme to the regional mailing lists, apart from details about temporary last resort status.
	j)	It is the responsibility of library managers to inform their staff of changes to the SENDS Scheme.
11 RESPONSIBILITIES TO READERS

It is recommended good practice to ensure that readers are informed if there is likely to be a delay in satisfying their request, or if for any reason their request cannot be satisfied.
12 FURTHER INFORMATION

Please see the JILDDG web pages at http://stlis.thenhs.com/hln/groups/jilddg/

For further information regarding the protocol, copyright or general inter-library issues, please contact the JILDDG representative for your area:

John Addison
Library Manager
Education Centre Library
Royal Oldham Hospital