[CSL]: [CTHEORY] 1000 Days of Theory: Infomobility and Technics

J Armitage <[log in to unmask]>

Interdisciplinary academic study of Cyber Society <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 Oct 2005 07:27:51 +0100

text/plain

From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 27/10/2005 18:45
Subject: [CTHEORY] 1000 Days of Theory: Infomobility and Technics

 CTHEORY:         THEORY, TECHNOLOGY AND CULTURE        VOL 28, NO 3
        *** Visit CTHEORY Online: http://www.ctheory.net ***

 1000 Days 021    27/10/2005    Editors: Arthur and Marilouise Kroker

                         *************************

                            1000 DAYS OF THEORY

                         *************************

 Infomobility and Technics: some travel notes

 ~Belinda Barnet~

 Introduction
 -------------

 The technical artefacts that surround us are more than just
 extensions of ourselves; they shape and mediate our experience of
 life and the taking place of space and time. Each technology has its
 own material genealogy that exceeds human evolution, and some
 developments have had more impact on human life than others. For
 French philosopher Bernard Stiegler, one of the most important
 developments in recent times is the convergence between the
 industrial technical system, globalisation, and mnemotechnical
 systems like writing and photography, to form a global mnemotechnical
 system. This system incorporates digital information networks like
 the internet as well as the real-time information events of
 individuals. The human of the information age is dependent on this
 global digital retention system; they invent themselves within it.
 More recently, with the development of geosynchronous satellite
 applications like GPS, there has been an "interweaving" of this
 global system with real space; the human experience of countries and
 regions is shaped in advance by its representations. The global
 mnemotechnical system reterritorialises real space.

      What is currently being deployed is an electronic
      reproducibility of places, countries and geographical regions.
      It is not yet very advanced, but it already opens up immense
      perspectives.[1]

 The following essay is a collection of three vignettes reflecting on
 infomobility and mnemotechnics from my travels earlier this year. In
 the first vignette, I argue that this interweaving of the global
 mnemotechnical system and real space reaches its zenith with mobile
 devices; particularly through the use of wireless information
 services (like WAP or NTT DoCoMo's i-mode) combined with
 location-based services that tailor data to geographical locations.
 The individual's current location becomes a plane of technological
 inscription for this global mnemotechnical system, and the individual
 human becomes a series of location zones, an evolving piece of data
 whose information events are fed back into this digital retention
 system. All countries and territories with mobile coverage have a
 layer of virtual graffiti [2] associated with them, from simple maps
 and web references to custom-built and location-specific mobile sites
 that can be accessed with your thumb. My beliefs are shaped in
 advance by this digital retention system whose access point I carry
 with me. In the second vignette I argue that this global digital
 retention system also bears witness to an event having taking place;
 until an event has been captured, shared and distributed across the
 network via mobile phone, it has not taken place.

 When human beings are separated from the devices that grant them
 access to the global mnemotechnical system, from both the archive of
 their own lives and the collective record, they experience anxiety.
 Our relationship with mobile devices constitutes a tension, a tension
 I explore in the final vignette.

 The (re)production of territories -- Marrakech, Morocco 5/05/05

 What is really at stake are the radically new possibilities of
 projection that are offered by digital devices of tertiary retention.
 If what we are dealing with is nothing else but real space, it must
 be an extension of the device by which the world projects as
 double.[3]

 The places I visit become "smart" by virtue of my presence. I bring
 information with me to this place, and this information mediates my
 experience; the territory surrounding me serves as surface of
 projection for data. I am sitting inside the mud-brick ramparts of
 Djemaa el-Fna square in Marrakech, surrounded by a jumble of
 storytellers, jugglers and snake charmers. In the stall beside me, a
 woman pulls a raw sheep's head from her bag, skewers it through the
 eye socket and rolls it across the grill. The intermittent song of
 the Muezzin (Arabic call to prayer) sounds strange to me, and the air
 is filled with a mixture of French and Arabic, neither of which I can
 understand. I have no guide book, and I cannot find my way out of the
 labyrinthine medina. Yet I am not lost; using GPRS roaming, my device
 brings access to directions through the cobbled streets and alleys,
 to an explanation of the song in my own language.

 Every street and building has a layer of virtual graffiti I can
 summon in an instant; my experiences will in turn be archived and
 will form part of this collective inscription. Although I cannot see
 these records on the walls and artefacts around me, they are not
 immaterial; they "cannot be accessed except via the mediating
 processes of the devices that represent this information" to an
 otherwise unequipped consciousness.[4] Using my device, I retrieve
 243 entries for Cafe Toubkal on the East side of the square; if I
 squint my eyes I can see it through the jumble of stalls. As I make
 my way across the market I capture images of my approach, I rehearse
 my own inscriptions in this collection; my experience has been
 formulated in advance of my arrival. In this sense, the place I am
 approaching is already the future anterior, it is already memory. A
 mobile device promises not simply, or not only, perpetual
 connectivity; it promises access to this sedimentary layer of
 information that has built up around the globe, and the ability to
 add your fragments to it. This exceeds the knowledge of human
 individuals, it exceeds the territory it covers.

 With every step, I emit a smog of data; my journey is being archived
 too. Every few seconds, my device "pings" the network and receives a
 response; my location zone is then recorded in a log. I am conscious
 that I leave a trail of digital breadcrumbs for Maroc Telecom through
 the ancient city, that my position could be triangulated within
 metres based on my distance from nearby cell stations. I have become
 data "travelling through data landscapes" [5]; I have become a
 roaming subscription number. As my feet slide upon thousand-year old
 stone, I am at once travelling through networks and central servers
 back in Australia, my details handed on via invisible network
 handshakes across the globe, my trajectory recorded. I am not lost, I
 am identifiable; I am a string of information events.

 As I travel through the city I leave other traces too, traces which
 will be incorporated into the global digital retention system. Every
 ATM I visit and every credit card transaction I make will be
 recorded. But my mobile device is a nomadic object; it literally
 locates me within an electronic reproduction of the territory I walk
 over.[6] The network coverage area is known as a "footprint", and
 like any inscription on real space it has finite physical limits and
 dimensions; my trail through it will be marked as one marks the
 surface of page. At the same time, this data trail I am creating is
 already memory; by the time the network locates me, I have gone.

 On the opposite side of the round world you are asleep now, and your
 device will vibrate silently with the video I have sent.

 The (re)production of events -- Valencia, Spain 14/05/05

      The ultimate affirmation of an event having occurred is its
      being captured, shared and distributed by mobile phone.[7]

 Samsung's current Show Your World ad campaign urges camera phone
 users to record the minutiae of their daily lives and turn it into a
 movie. In Samsung's words, this is "the most vibrant way to capture
 and share life experiences with family and friends".[8] Human beings
 have always felt compelled to capture fragments of their lives, to
 store and transmit memories; we have inscribed ourselves in books and
 on cave walls, in folk songs and on New York subway benches, and now
 on 1.8" mobile phone screens. For Bernard Stiegler, all technologies
 are in fact memory aids [9]; but not every technics is also a
 mnemotechnics. Some technologies have been created explicitly to
 store and transmit memories: for example, writing, or photography.
 Mobile devices were originally created as walkie-talkies for
 cars,[10] but the unexpected success of messaging took development in
 a different direction; consumers wanted to capture and share ephemera
 from their daily lives.

 All technologies create cultures of use around themselves; they
 create new techniques and new ways of doing things that were
 unthinkable prior to the technology. Mnemotechnics in particular
 create new ways of remembering; both on a phenomenological level (how
 we perceive and experience events in our lives) and a technical level
 (the material artefacts that serve as surface of inscription). The
 relationship between these two levels constitutes a tension -- a
 tension as old as metaphysics, a tension which is itself productive
 of new devices and new techniques.[11] The material surface of
 inscription at once shapes the memory it records; the technical
 artefact has limits and resistances which impact the recording.

 Mobile devices in turn have material limits that influence the events
 they capture: for example, a mobile screen is necessarily small
 (between 1 and 3" for phones, up to 4" for PDAs and Pocket PC), and
 video is comparatively hard to compress and expensive to receive,
 even on high-end 3G devices. Consequently, the videos we create must
 be short, simple grabs; the actors must be choreographed to address
 the lens, the message simplified for its recipient. This means the
 life events we record are (at least in part) produced by the device,
 but this is not necessarily a negative experience. The physical
 limits and resistances of different technologies can also be
 creative. For example, the impoverished real estate of the mobile
 screen has given us a new language: it cn b hrd to undrstnd if u r
 not txt msg usr,[12] A mobile device alters both way we experience
 events and the event that is recorded.

 I have just met up with Jasmine in the Plaza de la Virgen in
 Valencia. After we have downed some syrupy coffee at a cafe, I ask if
 I can take a short clip of her to send to mutual friends in Sydney.
 There is an eccentric old man sitting at the table next to us eating
 churros (long sugary donuts), so I ask Jasmine to talk to this man
 while I video her on my device. She obliges, and for two minutes, she
 dunks churros in her chocolate like a pro and laughs with the old
 man. The event is performed for the tiny lens. After a time she looks
 up at me and smiles at our distant friends - friends whose absence is
 right now influencing our performance, friends who will receive this
 "event" at an indeterminate point in the future, and in that
 reception affirm that it has taken place (in the manner of an ethical
 act, our friends will bear witness to this event). Later, as we walk
 around the city, we stop at intervals and pose in front of fountains
 and monuments, snapping still shots to distribute across the globe.

 These events do not exist outside the technology for their capture
 and distribution; they were never simply "there", awaiting the
 recording. Each event has been constructed to fit in five second
 slots on a 1.8 inch screen, for absent third parties who have yet to
 receive it. After its performance, the video will be compressed and
 data selectively lost; it will be cut into packets and transmitted
 via thousands of parallel digital streams to be reconstructed on a
 different device, which will create a composite of frames from
 multiple streams. The reconstruction will take place far from this
 place and this time, and each device will render it differently. A
 mobile does not simply "capture" events from our lives; it mediates
 and constructs the very nature of the events recorded. It is first
 and foremost a production device, a device for the production and
 distribution of memories.

 Jasmine and I are both aware that these events are being recorded,
 and that they will be distributed to people on the opposite side of
 the round world (people who are right now sleeping, unaware of the
 sights and sounds and colours that seem most live to us here now).
 This unfolding moment, which took place only once and which feels so
 authentic, will be infinitely reproducible in our absence.[13]
 Perhaps more importantly, we are aware of this future; aware of this
 anticipated Other who will replay the event on a different device and
 in a different context. The possibility that these events can be
 captured and distributed in this way fundamentally alters our
 perception and our experience in advance. A mobile is always and also
 a token of the future, a future where fragments of your life will not
 be lost, but will survive "in an array of splendid colour".[14]

 You will receive my stories and will forget them. I am a name in your
 contact list, I am a collection of photographs.

 The Promise -- London, England 30/05/05
 ---------------------------------------

      I know I spend too much time texting friends, but I can't stop
      myself...I even sleep with my mobile under my pillow. I just
      have to wake up and read messages when I receive them.[15]

 A mobile device is a promise: the constant potential for
 communication, even if this communication never arrives. My device is
 always on, always connected, there is always the possibility that a
 message may have arrived since last I checked (or not). I worry that
 I may miss something or that someone may miss me, and this
 possibility haunts me. I feel compelled to check the device several
 times an hour, like someone obsessively washing their hands. I am
 sensitive to its vibrations through several layers of coat pockets,
 and scramble madly for it when I feel the slightest movement. Every
 so often I put my hand in my pocket just to check it is still there.
 My perception is altered in advance by its comforting presence; was
 that my ringtone I just heard, was that my message alert? Sometimes I
 have minor hallucinations; when I hear a mobile ring nearby I glance
 instinctively at my screen -- was that for me? ("one must expect it,
 I am expecting it, we are expecting it" [16]). My device demands what
 Linda Stone calls "continuous partial attention" -- even when nothing
 is happening. The mobile user has a constant low-level awareness of
 their device; the possibility that communication may arrive at any
 instant inhabits their awareness.

      With continuous partial attention, we're constantly scanning
      incoming alerts for the one best thing to seize upon: "how can I
      tune in in a way that helps me sync up with the most
      interesting, the most important opportunity?"[17]

 The arrival of this most important opportunity, the alert that can
 happen at any instant, is perpetually immanent. Even when the device
 rests peacefully in my pocket and my hands are folded in my lap,
 communication from my contacts still exists in potentia; I am simply
 awaiting their arrival. It is the fact that this opportunity may
 never arrive, that although I have a contact book filled with names I
 may yet be forgotten, it is in the "always-open hollow of
 possibility, that is, in non-coming, absolute disappointment
 [~deconvenue~]", that I have a relation to the event.[18] The
 possibility that this most important opportunity may never arrive is
 the condition of its arrival. If a day passes without contact I begin
 to panic; have I been forgotten? Everyone around me in the street
 seems to be receiving calls; am I not important? "Seeing...everyone
 talk on the phone, one realises that there is a mobile community and
 one is not part of it".[19] The mobile implies perpetual availability
 for contact, but contact may always not take place, too. The spectre
 of loss -- of being forgotten, or of missing the arrival -- marks our
 relationship with mobile devices.

      If I don't receive a text when I wake up or I receive only a few
      messages during the day, I feel as though nobody loves me enough
      to remember me.[20]

 A mobile device promises the future -- a future where important
 messages may yet arrive, and where we will not miss the arrival. Like
 any promise, there is an expectation that this will take place, and
 an attendant anxiety that it will not take place. This has led to a
 new set of social behaviours around mobile messaging. When the
 recipient of a message is unable to respond straight away, there is a
 sense that a promise has been broken. "A message should be responded
 to within about 30 minutes unless one [has] a legitimate reason, such
 as being asleep".[21] Japanese students surveyed by Mizuko Ito and
 Daisuke Okabe actually apologised to the recipient if their responses
 were delayed by more than an hour, and often just "checked in" with
 their friends during the day to let them know they were still
 thinking of them.[22] Students who were about to turn their phone off
 or would be unable to receive messages for a while sent a warning to
 their friends; "just got home, think I'll take a bath".[23] Mobile
 owners live in a constant state of anticipation.

 A mobile device is a promise; this promise inhabits our awareness,
 like a peripheral anxiety. It is constantly in the background, and it
 shapes our experience of life and the "taking place" of events within
 our lives. A mobile promises the instrumental possibility of
 reproduction, of capturing and distributing the minutiae of our daily
 lives, even if these experiences can never be faithfully recorded. It
 promises that we will not be forgotten, that we will not be lost; the
 territory has been reproduced in advance of our arrival, and we will
 always be identifiable. It promises the constant potential for
 communication, even if this communication never arrives.

 What if I miss something, or someone misses me?

 Awaiting (at) the arrival -- Dubai international airport 03/06/05

 You have not replied to the stories I have sent; have you forgotten
 me? Perhaps your device is broken and my messages have been lost;
 perhaps you have sent a reply and it has not yet reached me. Either
 way, the absence saddens me.

 If only this were the final day of waiting.

 Acknowledgements:
 -----------------

 With thanks to Darren Tofts, Mark Finn and Andres Vaccari for their
 comments on this article.

 Notes:
 ------

 [1] Stiegler, Bernard. "Our Ailing Educational Institutions" in
 _Culture Machine_ 5
 http://culturemachine.tees.ac.uk/Cmach/Backissues/j005/Articles/
 Stiegler.htm.

 [2] The term "virtual graffiti" was first used by Howard Rheingold in
 _Smart Mobs:. The Next Social Revolution_. Perseus Publishing 2002.
 For the purposes of this article I am using the term to include both
 i-mode (cHTML) and WAP sites: these are different services. Not all
 GPRS/3G handsets can access the i-mode service, users need an i-mode
 client.

 [3] Stiegler, ibid., 2000.

 [4] Stiegler, ibid., 2000.

 [5] Stiegler, ibid., 2000.

 [6] Mobile coverage is achieved by partitioning the area into a
 plurality of location zones, each zone being served by a base
 station.

 [7] Satchell, cited in Goggin, Gerard 2005. "Calling the Shots" in
 ~The Age~ July 2 2005.
 http://www.theage.com.au/news/icon/calling-the-shots/2005/06/30/
 1119724747968.html?oneclick=true

 [8] Trendwatch.

 [9] Steigler, ibid., 2000. Also see Steigler, Bernard. _Technics and
 Time, 1_. Trans. Richard Beardsworth and George Collins. Stanford:
 Stanford University Press 1998. ch:1.

 [10] Agar, Jon. _Constant Touch: A Global History of the Mobile
 Phone_. Cambridge: Icon. 2003. pp. 35.

 [11] For more detail please see my _CTHEORY_ article, "Technical
 Machines and Evolution", or the first two chapters of Stiegler 1998,
 ibid.

 [12] It can be hard to understand if you are not a text message user.
 It might also be argued that the expense of voice carriage has
 contributed to the creation of a new messaging language.

 [13] Derrida, Jacques and Bernard Stiegler 2002. _Echographies of
 Television: Filmed Interviews_. Cambridge, UK: Polity Press 2002. pp.
 38.

 [14] Advertisment for Samsung E400
 http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/mobilephones/mobilephones/
 sgh_e400saxeu.asp

 [15] 14-year old mobile user, cited in Lee, Alfred. "Youths Seek Help
 for SMS Addiction" in ~IT AsiaOne~ October 6 2003
 http://it.asia1.com.sg/newsdaily/news001_20031006.html

 [16] Derrida, Jacques. _Aporias_. Stanford (CA): Stanford University
 Press 1993.

 [17] Stone,cited in Maxwell, Jill. "Stop the Net, I Want to Get Off"
 in ~Inc. Magazine~ 2002
 http://www.inc.com/magazine/20020101/23805.html.

 [18] Derrida and Stiegler 2002, ibid. pp 14.

 [19] Puro, Jukka Pekka. "Finland: a Mobile Culture" in Katz and
 Aakhus (eds.) _Perpetual Contact: Mobile Communication, Private Talk,
 Public Performance_, Cambridge (MA), Cambridge University Press 2002.
 pp 28.

 [20] Mobile user, cited in Rheingold 2002 ibid., pp 21.

 [21] Ito, Mizuko and Daisuke Okabe. "Technosocial Situations:
 Emergent Structuring of Mobile E-mail Use" in Ito, Okabe and Matsuda
 (eds.) _Personal, Portable, Pedestrian: Mobile Phones in Japanese
 Life_, Cambridge (MA), MIT Press, 2002. pp. 265.

 [22] Ito and Okabe 2005, ibid., 265.

 [23] Ito and Okabe 2005, ibid., 266.

 Belinda Barnet is Lecturer in Media at Swinburne University of
 Technology, Melbourne. She has also worked as Service Delivery
 Manager (Wireless Content Services) for Ericsson Australia, and has
 research interests in technical evolution and the philosophy of
 technology. Belinda has a PhD in Media and Communications from the
 University of New South Wales.

 *
 * CTHEORY is an international journal of theory, technology and
 *    culture. Articles, interviews, and key book reviews in
 *    contemporary discourse are published weekly as well as
 *    theorisations of major "event-scenes" in the mediascape.
 *
 * Editors: Arthur and Marilouise Kroker
 *
 * Editorial Board: Jean Baudrillard (Paris), Paul Virilio (Paris),
 *   Bruce Sterling (Austin), R.U. Sirius (San Francisco), Siegfried
 *   Zielinski (Koeln), Stelarc (Melbourne), Richard Kadrey (San
 *   Francisco), DJ Spooky [Paul D. Miller] (NYC), Timothy Murray
 *   (Ithaca/Cornell), Lynn Hershman Leeson (San Francisco), Stephen
 *   Pfohl (Boston), Andrew Ross (NYC), David Cook (Toronto), Ralph
 *   Melcher (Sante Fe), Shannon Bell (Toronto), Gad Horowitz
 *   (Toronto), Andrew Wernick (Peterborough).
 *
 * In Memory: Kathy Acker
 *
 * Editorial Correspondents: Ken Hollings (UK),
 *   Maurice Charland (Canada) Steve Gibson (Canada/Sweden).
 *
 * Editorial Assistant: Ted Hiebert
 * WWW Design & Technical Advisor: Spencer Saunders (CTHEORY.NET)
 * WWW Engineer Emeritus: Carl Steadman

                To view CTHEORY online please visit:
                      http://www.ctheory.net/

            To view CTHEORY MULTIMEDIA online please visit:
                 http://ctheorymultimedia.cornell.edu/

 * CTHEORY includes:
 *
 * 1. Electronic reviews of key books in contemporary theory.
 *
 * 2. Electronic articles on theory, technology and culture.
 *
 * 3. Event-scenes in politics, culture and the mediascape.
 *
 * 4. Interviews with significant theorists, artists, and writers.
 *
 * 5. Multimedia theme issues and projects.
 *
 *
 * The Editors would like the thank the University of Victoria for
 *   financial and intellectual support of CTheory. In particular, the
 *   Editors would like to thank the Dean of Social Sciences, Dr. C.
 *   Peter Keller, the Dean of Engineering, Dr. D. Michael Miller and
 *   Dr. Jon Muzio, Department of Computer Science.
 *
 *
 * (C) Copyright Information:
 *
 *   All articles published in this journal are protected by
 *   copyright, which covers the exclusive rights to reproduce and
 *   distribute the article.  No material published in this journal
 *   may be translated, reproduced, photographed or stored on
 *   microfilm, in electronic databases, video disks, etc., without
 *   first obtaining written permission from CTheory.
 *   Email [log in to unmask] for more information.
 *
 *
 * Mailing address: CTHEORY, University of Victoria, PO Box 3050,
 *   Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 3P5.
 *
 * Full text and microform versions are available from UMI, Ann Arbor,
 *   Michigan; and Canadian Periodical Index/Gale Canada, Toronto.
 *
 * Indexed in: International Political Science Abstracts/
 *   Documentation politique international; Sociological Abstract
 *   Inc.; Advance Bibliography of Contents: Political Science and
 *   Government; Canadian Periodical Index; Film and Literature Index.
 *

content by the NorMAN MailScanner Service and is believed
to be clean.

The NorMAN MailScanner Service is operated by Information
Systems and Services, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.

====
This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and
confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take
no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this e-mail
to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic mail
from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a request
under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving
Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for any
losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.

Distributed through Cyber-Society-Live [CSL]: CSL is a moderated discussion
list made up of people who are interested in the interdisciplinary academic
study of Cyber Society in all its manifestations.To join the list please visit:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/cyber-society-live.html