Re: ethnic writers

Geraldine Monk <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:47:36 +0100

text/plain

<I'm not saying, Geraldine, your anger against WMA is not justified. I'm
saying I don't really know who or what WMA is but I'm learning and please
don't shout at me meanwhile.>

So sorry Mairead - wasn't meaning to shout  - but the case I was making was
very specific which is why I went into so much detail. So to have you and
Susan read it as some kind of a rejection of mulitculural Britain took me
aback. (The Modest Proposal by the way was by Paul not by me -  I merely
thought it obvious that it was Big Brother that Paul was taking the mickey
out of not the ethnic community - it obviously doesn't travel).

< If I start talking about RISCA
(Rhode Island State Council on the Arts) to you, I won't expect you toshare
in my contumely .>

O.K. and I wouldn't jump in if I didn't understand the context (it's a full
time job keeping up with what our own funding bodies are up to) but I
certainly wouldn't object to you talking about it if you thought it was
going to effect your individual rights to free expression and the freedom to
publish only what you think is of artistic value.  If that is what was a
stake I would support your cause.

<I don't agree with your last point: "You surely can't get less racist
than saying we don't give a damn who or what you are." ... So I'd be happier
saying: "I care a great deal who and what you are.  Tell me about it.  I'll
do my best to listen."  I think it's damned hard to learn about someone
else's difference because our own gloss, our own inherited way of looking at
things, goes on top of everything.>

Not meaning to chop out your reference to your research Mairead but if I
could just take you up on this (very quietly of course!!!).  The problem
with this is that it's about people in general rather than people writing
poetry that excites you.

We get a lot of unsolicited m/s's dropping through the letter box and most
of it is truly awful - by anyones standards but their own. It's quite
evident that these people don't read poetry (they certainly haven't read the
poetry that West House Books publishes because if they had they wouldn't
waste a stamp sending it to us).   Now to say I care about these people
would be a lie.  I don't.  I don't give a toss about the woman who sent us a
swathe of utter dross this week telling us she intended to become a
household name!  Sorry but she can feck orf.  Apart from being  totally
unrealistic -  our poet laureates don't even become household names - it's
enough to make you weep with the pettiness of such ambition.  However, I
might care about some of these people if I met them down the pub and they
turned out to be nice people -  which I'm sure most of them are.  I care
about people socially but that is very distinct from my reaction to a poem.
Now if one day someone does send us some poetry that blows the tops off my
boiled eggs then I will care very much about that person and I'll want to
know everything about them.  And if that person turns out to be a young
ethnic guy or gal nodody would be happier than me.  But I just don't think
WMA is going to make this a possiblily by there half-baked badly thought out
policy.

Cheers,
Geraldine

Mairead