DYSLEXIA@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DYSLEXIA Home

DYSLEXIA  November 2004

DYSLEXIA November 2004

Re: Ronald Davis

"j.tidman" <[log in to unmask]>

Discussions by and for dyslexic people <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:28:07 -0000

Neil, thankyou.
Heather started school only in September, she had an assessment with the
LEA's advisory teacher last week, but as far as I know hasn't seen an
educational psychologist yet...I have to say here that the school is
well known for their work with dyslexia and have an excellent SENCO team
and I am very happy with them...I am awaiting the report from the
advisory teacher, but did meet her on the day and she briefly told me
that Heathers difficulty lies with non-verbal communication and her
particular weaknesses are reading and writing...I assume that's the same
thing? As I say, this is all new to me so I don't really understand the
processes that will take place or what any of this really means. The
school are implementing a specific educational plan for her and will
watch her progress for a few more months. They have said that at this
stage she doesn't need statementing. I am fine with this as I know the
school will do the best for her without one anyway. I don't know what a
WISC score is or if she has had one. I will contact the advisory teacher
and ask.
I don't think dyslexia can be cured either, however I do believe that it
can be dealt with to each individuals capabilities. What I want most for
my daughter is to accept and deal and cope with her dyslexia, not to see
it as a disability and most of all to be happy and successful in
whatever she wants from life. We are both so happy with the school that
we feel sure they will assist in her achieving that.
I am finding the Davis book just very interesting at the moment as its
such a relief to read something where I can say...oh, that's what
Heather does, now I understand a bit more, where she is coming from.
Thankyou for your words.
Jenny