TB-SUPPORT Archives

TB-SUPPORT@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

TB-SUPPORT Home

TB-SUPPORT  October 2004

TB-SUPPORT October 2004

Re: Grid Broken?

"Coles, J (Jeremy)" <[log in to unmask]>

Testbed Support for GridPP member institutes <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:03:29 +0100

Ben/All

GGUS started off as a helpdesk solution for Karlsruhe which operates a
Tier-1. They have taken a lead within EGEE for providing a common
web-interface for all regional helpdesks. At present they are working to
interface with the Italian regional helpdesk so that their different systems
are "aware" of each other. The plan is to interface with all regional
helpdesks (regions are defined under the EGEE SA1 homepage
http://egee-sa1.web.cern.ch/egee%2Dsa1/).

Interfacing with the Savannah system used to track grid operations issues (a
job previously undertaken by Piotr et. al. at CERN and now being shared by
the EGEE CICs (Core Infrastructure Centres - these are tasked between to
provide support for core grid services)) is proving more difficult but
should come in time.

What this means is that GGUS will be able to accept support requests from
any member of EGEE. I do not see any references to NorduGrid as part of the
Northern Europe federation and currently there is no US federation but this
may change (or I might be corrected). LCG is part of EGEE.

It is still quite early in the setting up of GGUS and problems with the
service are bound to become apparent (as Steve just discovered!). As Stephen
mentions, Karlsruhe need people to use the service and provide feedback in
order that it can be improved. So far they have not had much traffic which
is understandable if, as it appears, the service is not well advertised.

For anyone who wants to know more about GGUS within the EGEE SA1 activity
there is a presentation here:

http://agenda.cern.ch/askArchive.php?base=agenda&categ=a043657&id=a043657s0t
1/moreinfo

Jeremy