DYSLEXIA@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DYSLEXIA Home

DYSLEXIA  September 2004

DYSLEXIA September 2004

BDA Cymru

Jean Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>

Discussions by and for dyslexic people <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:02:04 +0100

Media Release  27 September 2004.

BDA launches BDA Cymru, the voice of dyslexic people in Wales.

This year's Dyslexia Awareness Week 'Positive about Dyslexia, Partnership
in Action' sees the creation of a new BDA presence in Wales.

BDA Cymru is being officially launched at the National Assembly for Wales,
Cardiff Bay on Thursday 30 September.
" I am certain that the only way we will achieve our ultimate goal is to
work in partnership with organisations like BDA Cymru " said Minister for
Education and Lifelong Learning, Jane Davidson AM, in a statement declaring
her support for the official launch of BDA Cymru.

The Minister has frequently outlined the Welsh Assembly's agenda for
encouraging greater inclusion and fostering a culture of lifelong learning
and self-improvement in Wales. " An agenda" said the Minister "which I am
very pleased to note BDA Cymru shares" .

With 10% of the population affected by dyslexia, 4% severely so, there is
much to be done.  BDA Cymru's ambition is to create a dyslexia friendly
society in Wales by driving forward three main campaign areas:

* Dyslexia Friendly Education
* Working with Young people in the Criminal Justice System
* Dyslexia-wise Employers Initiative

There is already some excellent practice in supporting dyslexic people in
Wales.  BDA Cymru's ambition is to build on that good practice and promote
it Wales-wide.  By working in partnership with key organisations in Wales,
BDA Cymru seeks to steer, shape and influence the Welsh dyslexia agenda in
order to work towards its vision of a dyslexia friendly society in Wales.

END

For more information about BDA Cymru and its work, please contact Jennifer
Owen Adams, BDA Cymru: 01597 810831 email: [log in to unmask]

Jean
Jean Hutchins, BDA volunteer & SE Surrey DA
RSA Dip SpLD, AMBDA, retired.
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
British Dyslexia Association Web: www.bda-dyslexia.org.uk
(Also into spelling reform www.spellingsociety.org)