NRICH-TALK September 2004

NRICH September Newsletter

Liz Pumfrey <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:43:54 +0100

Dear all,

The NRICH theme this month is "Picturing Mathematics and Graph Sketching".
A broad title so there is lots of mathematics to choose from.  We have made
a number of connections across problems on the site including "On the Edge"
and "Inside-Out". We don't often give ourselves opportunities to visualise
some aspect of mathematics and these two problems are crying out for us to
have an image of what is happening "in our mindís eye".  On the Edge is 2D
and Inside-Out is 3D, but the problem is the same and can be tackled in a
systematic way.

The Bus Stop problem is particularly interesting because the temptation to
jump straight into algebra can be awfully hard work!  How about trying some
distance time graphs - Ah! - the power of the picture.

There is a new game this month called "Sliding Puzzle" which links to the
problems "Changing Places".  "Khun Phaen" also makes a reappearance and
will keep you very busy!

With best wishes from the NRICH Team.

Liz Pumfrey
NRICH Primary Teacher Research Associate
University of Cambridge Faculty of Education
17 Trumpington Street
Cambridge
CB2 1QA
01223 330585