Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

HISTORIES OF MEDIA ART

Oliver Grau <[log in to unmask]>

Digital Arts Histories <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:57:06 +0200

text/plain

Dear colleagues and friends,

please note the upcoming conference!

We will post the call for papers within the next weeks.

Best regards

Oliver

-------------------

REFRESH!
FIRST INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON
THE HISTORIES OF MEDIA ART, SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

September 28 - October 3, 2005 at Banff New Media Institute, Canada

"The technology of the modern media has produced
new possibilities of interaction...
What is needed is a wider view encompassing the coming rewards in the context
of the treasures left us by the past experiences, possessions, and insights."
(Rudolf Arnheim, Summer 2000)

Recognizing the increasing significance of media
art for our culture, this Conference on the
Histories of Media Art will discuss for the first
time the history of media art within the
interdisciplinary and intercultural contexts of
the histories of art.  Leonardo/ISAST, the
Database for Virtual Art, Banff New Media
Institute, and UNESCO DigiArts are collaborating
to produce the first international art history
conference covering art and new media, art and
technology, art-science interaction, and the
history of media as pertinent to contemporary art.

MEDIA ART HISTORIES

After photography, film, video, and the little
known media art history of the 1960s-80s, today
media artists are active in a wide range of
digital areas (including interactive, genetic,
and telematic art). Even in robotics and nano
technology, artists design and conduct
experiments. This dynamic process has triggered
intense discussion about images in the
disciplines of art history, media studies, and
neighboring cultural disciplines. The Media Art
History Project offers a basis for attempting an
evolutionary history of the audiovisual media,
from the laterna magica  to the panorama,
phantasmagoria, film, and the virtual art of
recent decades. It is an evolution with breaks
and detours; however, all its stages are
distinguished by a close relationship between
art, science, and technology.

Refresh! will discuss questions of
historiography, methodology and the role of
institutions of media art. The Conference will
contain key debates about the function of
inventions, artistic practice in collaborative
networks, the prominent role of sound during the
last decades and will emphasize the importance of
intercultural and pop culture themes in the
Histories of Media Art. Readings of new media art
histories vary richly depending on cultural
contexts.  This event calls upon scholarship from
a strongly international perspective.

Therefore Refresh! will represent and address the
wide array of disciplines involved in the
emerging field of Media Art. Beside Art History
these include the Histories of Sciences and
Technologies , Film-, Sound-, Media-, Visual and
Theatre Studies, Architecture, Visual Psychology,
just to name a few.

DOCUMENTATION - CURATING - COLLECTION

Although the popularity of media art exhibited at
exhibitions and art festivals is growing among
the public and increasingly influences theory
debates, with few exceptions museums and
galleries have neglected to systematically
collect this present-day art, to preserve it and
to demand appropriate conservatory measures.
Thus, several decades of international media art
is in danger of being lost to the history of
collecting and to academic disciplines such as
art history.  This gap will have far-reaching
consequences; therefore, the conference will also
discuss the documentation, collection, archiving
and preservation of media art.  What kind of
international networks must be created to advance
appropriate policies for collection and
conservation?  What kind of new technologies do
we need to optimize research efforts and
information exchange?

MAILING LIST
LEONARDO, journal of the International Society
for the Arts, Sciences, and Technology, has
documented for the past thirty-seven years the
pioneering work of artists who work in and with
new media. Together with Leonardo Book Series and
LEA Electronic Journal, the journal is published
by the MIT Press. For further information about
the forthcoming conference and the long-term
LEONARDO Media Art History Project, please email
to join:

CONFERENCE
Held at The Banff Centre, featuring lectures by
invited speakers as well as others selected by a
jury from a call for papers, the main event will
be followed by a two-day summit meeting (October
1-2, 2005) for in-depth dialogues and
international project initiation.
The first call for papers will be in late Summer
2004. In particular, young postgraduates in the
research areas of: art history and new media, art
and technology, the interaction of art and
science, and media history, are encouraged to
submit for the following panels:

MEDIA ART HISTORIES
Times and Landscapes
Methodologies
Invention
Collaborative Practice
Pop Mass Society
Cross-Culture, Global Art

ART HISTORY AS IMAGE SCIENCE
Film, Sound, Media Art & Performance
History of Sciences & Media Art
Media & Visual Studies

DOCUMENTATION - CURATING - COLLECTION - RIGHTS
New Scientific Tools
History of Institutions

HONORARY BOARD
Rudolf ARNHEIM; Frank POPPER; Jasia REICHARDT; Itsuo SAKANE, Walter ZANINI

ADVISORY BOARD
Hans BELTING, Karlsruhe; Andreas BROECKMANN,
Berlin; Paul BROWN, London; Karin BRUNS, Linz;
Annick BUREAUD, Paris; Dieter DANIELS, Leipzig;
Diana DOMINGUES, Caxias do Sul; Felice FRANKEL,
Boston; Jean GAGNON, Montreal; Thomas GUNNING,
Chicago; Linda D. HENDERSON, Austin; Manrai HSU,
Taipei; Erkki HUHTAMO, Los Angeles; Ángel
KALENBERG, Montevideo; Ryszard KLUSZCZYNSKI,
Lodz; Machiko KUSAHARA, Tokyo; W.J.T. MITCHELL,
Chicago; Gunalan NADARAJAN, Singapore; Edward
SHANKEN, Savannah; Barbara STAFFORD, Chicago;
Christiane PAUL, New York; Louise POISSANT,
Montreal; Jeffrey SHAW, Sydney; Tereza WAGNER,
Paris; Peter WEIBEL, Karlsruhe; Steven WILSON,
San Francisco

BANFF
Sara DIAMOND, Director of Research and Artistic Director of BNMI (Local Chair)
Susan KENNARD, Executive Producer of BNMI (Organisation)
www.banffcentre.ca/bnmi/

LEONARDO
Annick BUREAUD, Director Leonardo Pioneers and
Pathbreakers Art History Project, Leonardo/OLATS
www.olats.org

PUBLICATIONS COMMITTEE
Chair: Roger F MALINA, Chair Leonardo/ISAST
www.leonardo.info

CONFERENCE DIRECTOR & ORGANISATION

Oliver GRAU, Director Immersive Art & Database of Virtual Art
Humboldt University Berlin
http://virtualart.hu-berlin.de

SUPPORTED BY:
LEONARDO, GERMAN RESEARCH FOUNDATION, UNESCO DIGIARTS,
DATABASE OF VIRTUAL ART, VILLA VIGONI

--

www2.hu-berlin.de/grau
http://virtualart.hu-berlin.de