Re: Kent

Jan Adams <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Jun 2004 10:02:41 +0100

text/plain

I have just returned from leave so have quickly read emails generated by events in Kent.
In Lincolnshire we identified a need for Leadership and Management development -originally for public library staff-and in 2001 I was given a remit to expand this for managers in Cultural Services .
 I worked with the Assistant Director and  managers to ascertain needs and aspirations , drafted  management competencies in conjunction with Lorraine Jubb , and utilised the competencies as the foundation for the  customised postgraduate Certificate in Management with the University of
 Lincoln ; and  the ILM introductory certificate  for first line managers .W
 e have successfully run two groups with the University and are starting a second group with ILM .
As part of a range of approaches to management development we  have also piloted Management NVQ's levels 4 & 5 for staff and two of us have trained as assessors.
Staff are encouraged to join the Chartered Management Institute , and apply for the new Chartered Manager status .
Opportunities are available to both experienced and aspiring leaders and managers , including library staff , and  they benefit by cross -service working and seeing the bigger picture  .
So what difference is it making ? All development opportunities include service improvement projects
and both participants and  line managers have fed back  positive reviews  on  the success of this programme---longer term evaluation to follow .
Cultural Services are currently being assessed against  the Investors in People Leadership and Management standard -invaluable for anyone  wishing to improve the quality of L & M across the organisation .
Our approach has been adopted and adapted corporately as part of the new Lincolnshire County Council Leadership and Management Development programme which is starting in September 2004.
Jan Adams
Training and Development Manager
Lincolnshire Libraries
>>> John Hughes <[log in to unmask]> 03/06/04 22:40:16 >>>
I think this is one of the healthiest debates to emerge on this list.
Such a pity that it's a direct result of some questionable decisions
which appear to be victimising our colleagues in Kent.

I would like to add a point which leads directly on from the library
school graduates issue.

Although I have known a number of newly qualified librarians over the
years, some of whom struggled with Chartership, my real concern is the
lack of accredited management (and leadership) training made available
to create library managers- and leaders-in-waiting.

The reliance on in-house training courses and external short courses on
specific aspects of management is simply not good enough in today's
highly competitive market. As a result, the ambitions of the change
advocates in the profession will not, I believe, be realised and the
pool of talent waiting for incentives to develop the necessary skills
will shrink in the drought.

I am aware that CILIP is supporting some initiatives in the higher
levels of leadership training, however, I believe we will need a
broader based approach if we are to do justice to new, qualified
recruits.

I speak from having a public library backgound of 42 years and am aware
that my knowledge of other sectors is, in contrast, less complete.

John

C John Hughes BA MCLIP LIAV MInstLM
External Assessor
External Verifier
IAV-registered NVQ Assessor
Chartered Library and Information Professional

Tel: 01452 417865
mobile: 07986 506 404

On 3 Jun 2004, at 21:36, brian.ashley wrote:

> David
>
> Let me clear that we have been able to appoint some excellent young
> librarians who are both good quality and committed. I am very familiar
> with the 'Recruit, Retain and Lead' material and the vital
> contributions to the improving the position from MLA, CILIP, SCL and
> library schools. I also speak with students at library schools
> regularly and I base my comments partly on what they tell me. I am
> proud to say that we still have trainee posts to support entrants to
> the profession in my service, supported by an excellent programme of
> training, and an (albeit small) financial incentive to qualified
> librarians to seek chartered status.
>

> My point was that the numbers coming into public libraries are
> dwindling, but I do recognise that the proliferation of information
> opportunities in commercial, professional, health and other sectors is
> a contributory factor. No doubt, many excellent students will be
> attracted to their starting salaries and the close match between these
> posts and the curriculum offered in library schools. I would love to
> be able to compete on the starting salary issue, but the opportunities
> for progression in public libraries are very good for those willing to
> be flexible.
>

> There have been visible signs in recent years of much improved
> dialogue between public library managers and the library schools and
> it is really important that this dialogue is continued and
> strengthened to the benefit of both the new students and to the users
> of our services they will be managing and providing.
>

> I wish library schools well in encouraging students towards the
> incredibly exciting, rewarding, challenging and stimulating work that
> is there for the taking in public libraries today. Anyone interested
> in making a difference to the lives of people in local communities
> through the power and pleasures of reading, information and learning
> can have something to offer. I also wish those students approaching
> the climax of their studies good luck in gaining qualifications and in
> seeking employment.
>

> Brian Ashley

Note: We are a Microsoft Office site.  Our base version is 4.3.  Please make sure
that files you send can be read in this format.

Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure,
modification, distribution and/or publication of this e-mail is strictly
prohibited save unless expressly authorised by the sender.

The information contained in this message is intended for the named
recipients only. It may contain privileged and confidential information and if you
are not the addressee or the person responsible for delivering this to the addressee,
you may not copy, distribute or take action in reliance on it.
If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender(s)
immediately by telephone. Please also destroy and delete as soon as possible
the message from your computer.