Explorator 6.36

David Meadows <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 4 Jan 2004 09:36:13 -0500

explorator 6.36                                  january 4, 2004
Editor's note: Most urls should be active for at least eight
hours from the time of publication.

For your computer's protection, Explorator is sent in plain text
and NEVER has attachments. Be suspicious of any Explorator which
arrives otherwise!!!

Thanks to Arthur Shippee,  Bill Kennedy, Donna Hurst, Adrian
Murdoch, Dave Sowdon, Diane Moceri, Francis Deblauwe, Hernan
Astudillo, John McMahon, Kate Brown, Maurice O'Sullivan,
Michael Oberndorf, Paul James Cowie, Richard Griffiths, Sally
Winchester, Tony Jackson, Bill Thayer and Yonatan Nadelman for
headses upses this week (as always hoping I have left no one
out).

Have you visited our blog yet?

http://www.atrium-media.com/rogueclassicism/

If you're using an (ahem) old or clunky browser, try accessing
it via Bloglines:

http://www.bloglines.com/preview?siteid=21809

Erratum: last week I mentioned miracles at Attila the Hun's
grave ... of course, it should have been St. Attila's grave.
Apologies for any confusion!

... very slow week, probably as expected
AFRICA, EUROPE, AND ASIA

A necropolis including the 4000 b.p. tomb of a high official
has been found near Saqqarah:

http://tinyurl.com/28ugo (Jerusalem Post)
http://tinyurl.com/38sgp (AP via Yahoo)
http://www.lefigaro.fr/magazine/20031229.MAG0015.html
http://tinyurl.com/3ddvk (La Tercera ... Spanish)
http://tinyurl.com/32fsw (AP via Globe and Mail)
http://tinyurl.com/2ms8k (AP via Globe and Mail ...??)
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/africa/story.jsp?story=477244
http://www.uk.sis.gov.eg/online/html11/o010124h.htm

Hopefully we'll hear more of this one ... approval has been given
to a company to recover antiquities off the shore of Mauritius:

http://www.uk.sis.gov.eg/online/html10/o301223f.htm

I think this is Zahi Hawass reminiscing, but I'm not sure:

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2004/671/hr2.htm

A number of Bronze Age artifacts have been found in Oman:

http://www.timesofoman.com/newsdetails.asp?newsid=47950&pn=local

Evidence of leprosy in ancient Jerusalem has been found:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3849407/
http://www.news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2361438
http://tinyurl.com/yq2mt (SF Chronicle)

Archaeological evidence suggests the Romans "drastically reduced
the number of indigenous people" when they were moving into
Scotland:

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/7171.html

That Iron Age chariot found a few weeks ago has been dated
to 400 B.C.:

http://www.news.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=8102004

A villager perusing a rubbish pile discovered a number of
ancient Buddhist statues in China's Shaanxi province:

http://tinyurl.com/2j28h (China Daily)

An 1100 b.p. inscription has been found in Padappai (India):

http://www.hindu.com/2003/12/31/stories/2003123107210400.htm

A letter from Ivan the Terrible to Elizabeth I has been found:

http://tinyurl.com/2peta (Telegraph)

Ongoing coverage of the results of the earthquake in Bam:

http://www.iranian.com/Features/2003/December/Quake/index.html
http://tinyurl.com/3574t (Montreal Gazette)
http://tinyurl.com/28xdp (Newsday)
THE AMERICAS
This really should be an Asian story, but the press is
covering it as if it is more important to North America ...
remains of a hunting site in Siberia north of the Arctic Circle
is being (tenuously?) connected to the peopling of North America:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3855039/

A sort of 'overview' piece on Azatlan (Wisconsin):

http://www.madison.com/wisconsinstatejournal/local/64568.php

Potential archaeological sites are being used to hold up
construction of an expressway just down the road from me (this
is an ongoing saga, not just archaeological):

http://tinyurl.com/2vcfk (Toronto Star)

The Winfield Courier (Kansas) has coverage of a dig which has
found remains dating back to ca. 4000 b.p.:

http://www.winfieldcourier.com/w040103/Fri1.html

The Times-Picayune tells of the search for a pair of 'lost'
villages originally populated by German settlers in the 1700's:

http://tinyurl.com/27zc9
ALSO OF INTEREST
The AIA meeting in San Francisco is getting some press coverage:

http://tinyurl.com/22nh4 (SF Chronicle)

Scotland's "Stirling heads" are being scientifically examined
for the first time (apparently):

http://www.sundayherald.com/39079

We haven't had a 'facial reconstruction' story in ages ...
here's one about the reconstruction of the Sulman mummy:

http://tinyurl.com/3xlh7 (London Free Press)

The New York Times has a feature on the historical Confucius:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/01/arts/design/01CONF.html

One of Ethiopia's rock churches collapsed this week (with
human casualties):

http://tinyurl.com/yvlwr (NY Daily News)

They're trying to make history more "vocational" in the UK:

http://tinyurl.com/ys4d2 (Telegraph)

This guy reconstructs/recreates ancient instruments:

http://www.news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1414912003

To mark the 700th anniversay of the death of William Wallace,
they're going to dig him up, do some reenacting, then reinter
him in a church (I'm sure we'll read they'll want to do some
dna work on him too):

http://www.scotlandonsunday.com/scotland.cfm?id=9122004

An interesting piece on petroglyphs in Australia:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/02/1072908902710.html

Washington University is getting a new numismatic museum:

http://tinyurl.com/2xcku

Of the myriad 'history of New Year's' pieces out there this
past week, the following seem to be most worth reading:

http://tinyurl.com/2lmpa (Oregonian)
MAGAZINES AND JOURNALS
Athena Review 3.4 (2003) [full text]:

http://www.athenapub.com/index12.htm

The January issue of Egypt Today has a number of touristy items
of interest plus a piece on Cambyses' lost army (look in the
sidebar on the contents page):

http://www.egypttoday.com/

The current issue of Scientific American has a piece entitled
"Women and Men at Catalhoyuk":

http://tinyurl.com/2667r
CRIME BEAT
A rather strange (and lengthy) grave desecration type case from
Oregon comes to an end:

http://tinyurl.com/2594s (Oregonian)

Turkish authorities have recovered a pile of antiquities dating
from various periods:

http://tinyurl.com/29rjn (News 24)

Indian authorities recovered a pile of ancient coins:

http://tinyurl.com/2p3jv (the Statesman)
EXHIBITIONS
Home Sown: Three Centuries of Stitching History:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/02/arts/02GALL.html

Below Stairs: 400 Years of Servants' Portraits:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/30/arts/design/30STAI.html

Desire of Mankind (Buddhist art):

http://tinyurl.com/3bjpm (Korea Herald)
CLASSICIST'S CORNER
Fair bit of ClassCon in an Economist piece on the territorial
goals of the EU:

http://tinyurl.com/26pye

The latest Latin-is-alive-and-well piece:

http://tinyurl.com/2maew

Akropolis News in Classical Greek (it has returned!):
http://www.akwn.net/

Radio Finland's Nuntii Latini
[best accessed via rogueclassicism]

Radio Bremen's Der Monatsrückblick - auf Latein
http://www.radiobremen.de/online/latein/

U.S. Weather in Latin:
http://latin.wunderground.com/

OBITUARIES
Bishop Guregh Kapikian (Armenian Bishop/Scholar):

http://tinyurl.com/2ptuq (Ha'aretz)
OTHER SOURCES OF ARCHAEOLOGICAL NEWS
About.com Ancient History (blog):
http://ancienthistory.about.com/

About.com Archaeology (blog):
http://archaeology.about.com/mbody.htm

Archaeologica:
http://www.archaeologica.org/NewsPage.htm

Archaeology Magazine's Newsbriefs:
http://www.archaeology.org/magazine.php?page=0305/newsbriefs/index

Bible and Interpretation Breaking News:
http://www.bibleinterp.com/news.htm

CBA Newsfeed:
http://www.britarch.ac.uk/newsfeed/index.html

CBA Archaeoblog:
http://www.britarch.ac.uk/archaeoblog/

Classics in Contemporary Culture (blog):
http://www.people.memphis.edu/~mhooker/ccc.html

Cronaca (blog):
http://www.cronaca.com/

Francis Deblauwe's 'Iraq War and Archaeology' site:
http://cctr.umkc.edu/user/fdeblauwe/iraq.html

Maritime Underwater Archaeological News:
http://www.munarchaeology.com/munarchaeology/news/main.htm

Megalithic Portal
http://www.megalithic.co.uk

Michael Ruggeri's Ancient America and Mesoamerica News:
http://community-2.webtv.net/Topiltzin-2091/AncientAmericaand

Mirabilis.ca (blog):
http://www.mirabilis.ca

Paleojudaica (blog):
http://paleojudaica.blogspot.com

Phluzein (blog):
http://www.binref.com/phluzein/

Stone Pages Archaeo News:
http://www.stonepages.com/news/

Texas A&M Anthropology News Site:
http://www.tamu.edu/anthropology/news.html

EXPLORATOR is a weekly newsletter representing the fruits of
the labours of 'media research division' of The Atrium. Various
on-line news and magazine sources are scoured for news of the
ancient world (broadly construed: practically anything relating
to archaeology or history  prior to about 1700 or so is fair
game) and every Sunday they are delivered to your mailbox free of
charge!
mailto:[log in to unmask]

To unsubscribe, send a blank email message to:
mailto:[log in to unmask]

To send a 'heads up' to the editor or contact him for other
reasons, reply to this message.
Explorator is Copyright (c) 2004 David Meadows. Feel free to
distribute these listings via email to your pals, students,
teachers, etc., but please include this copyright notice. These
links are not to be posted to any website by any means (whether
by direct posting or snagging from a usenet group or some other
email source) without my express written permission. I think it
is only right that I be made aware of public fora which are
making use of content gathered in Explorator. Thanks!