Re: tearing birds apart

Oliver Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:27:41 +1000

Regarding patterns from tool-less butchering of birds, and having hunted and
eaten a few during fieldwork:
- Using cutting tools for the kinds of birds I'm thinking of (medium pigeons and
small ducks) strikes me as about as likely as doing the same for a bar of
chocolate;
- the bird often comes apart by breaking at bones rather than joints as there
seems to be weaker spots in the diaphysis than the ligaments etc. E.g. I seem
to remember crested pigeon (Ocyphaps lophotes) humeri breaking in the middle
rather than separating from the scapula, coracoid, etc. (kind of like how you
break the feet off small mammals across the ulna and tibia, so that you can pull
the skin off the legs easier). Sorry that sounds a bit vague, but what I'm
really meaning to suggest is that these might be the sort of patterns that
would emerge across a reasonable sample size both archaeologically and
experimentally.

--
Oliver Brown
PhD candidate