Help for TUNICATA Archives

TUNICATA Archives

TUNICATA@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

TUNICATA Home

TUNICATA  2004

TUNICATA 2004

Re: first reference of natural products from ascidians

Arjan Gittenberger <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 31 Aug 2004 01:08:27 -0700

Dear Jana,

Although it might not be "the beginning" of "natural
product chemistry from tunicates", which you're
searching for...
The natural products/toxins in ascidians were already
used by the Romans. I remember a publication stating
that Julius Caesar used the toxin of tunicates to
eliminate opponents (e.g. after asking them over for
dinner).
   It is not exactly the way that people want to use
the chemicals/compounds within tunicates nowadays :),
but it is probably the first time/way that people have
used the natural products of ascidians for a specific
purpose (& probably with much success). If you're
interested I can search for the article that mentions
this use.

Kind regards
& good luck with your thesis,

Arjan

A. Gittenberger
PhD-student "Gastropod parasites and their coral
hosts"
(www.ascidians.com/oio/corals.htm)
National Museum of Natural History Naturalis
P.O. Box 9517, NL 2300 RA Leiden, The Netherlands
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
The Dutch Ascidians Website: www.ascidians.com

--- "J.Barenbrock" <[log in to unmask]>