Re: Design Methodologies

John Broadbent <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 10 Apr 2004 08:20:50 +1000

text/plain

Dear Ranjan,

Your elaboration of the design practitioners viewpoint on method, in
your first 9th April post, was well put and makes eminent good sense.
The need to move between levels('parts' and 'wholes') is, I think, well
appreciated, but it is our understanding of 'wholes' which is in dynamic
change at the moment.  As we develop the skills and conceptualisations
to work effectively at ever 'higher' levels of complexity, so our
understanding of 'wholes' changes.  To put it not too finely, I feel as
though we are in an 'arms race' with ourselves, trying to generate
methodological contextualisations for the increasingly complex
frameworks that we are now able to create.

I refer also to your second 9th April post, which elaborates on the use
of scenarios in design education.  It brought to mind a former working
life in environmental and technology assessment and, I suppose, together
these underline the increasing diversity of methods and methodologies
becoming available to us.

While 'high level' methodologies such as those of Bela Banathy and
Kemmis & McTaggart nest these diverse methods into their broad
conceptual frameworks, it is unclear to me whether the epistemological
basis for doing this has been well considered.  Should we invite
epistemological pluralism, which is the sense I have from your first
post, or is epistemological alignment preferable?

I guess this approaches my own interests more closely, which are on the
usefulness of evolutionary systems thinking as a worldview for design.
I suspect that this worldview is fairly accommodating of methodological
diversity, but it is a matter which I have yet to work through.

Best wishes,
John Broadbent

Prof. M P Ranjan wrote:

>Some more reflections on emerging design methodologies - M P Ranjan
>
>In February 2004 Eunkyong Baek had asked the list for information on methods
>relating to naratives of meetings and design sessions in industry and I had
>responded to this off-list with a couple of personal examples that may be
>useful in the context of the current discussion on design methodologies. I
>am therfore quoting part of that message below for views and reactions from
>the list.
>
>quote:
>
>You ask for examples of narratives used by designers for presentations
>and design review meetings and it is an interesting question. The
>discussion thread has however covered much ground to include processes
>for observation and recording of all meetings (on design) and their
>analysis and extraction of appropriate findings which are also
>interesting from the point of design research.
>
>I would share with you a couple of personal examples that cover both the
>above questions.
>
>I use the term "scenarios" for the visual depiction of a complex image
>based representation (in many styles) that captures the essence and the
>flow of a design proposal which could be pretty abstract at an early
>stage of development and far  more detailed and explicit at a more
>advanced stage of evolution of that representation. These images are
>supported by texts that forms the narrative part of the discourse and I
>find it particularly effective and useful when dealing with design tasks
>at a strategic level.
>
>To cut a long story short I will quote one particular example. In 1998 I
>was invited by the UNDP in Delhi to conduct a survey and propose a
>course of action for the development of the Bamboo sector in India. This
>invitation was based on my previous published work on the bamboo crafts
>of the Northeastern region of India done in the 80's. My report to the
>UNDP submitted in February 1999 formed the basis of the three year
>National development project that has just been concluded. My report
>titled "From the Land to the People: Bamboo as a Sustainable Human
>Development Resource for India" uses six "scenarios" to outline the
>framework for a multi-tiered multi-sectoral project of integrated
>development. Each "scenario" captures the key concepts and directions
>needed in  a particular sector and these diagrams were used repeatedly
>to brief partners and officials and these are easy to grasp and accept
>for further action.
>
>I will be happy to send a pdf copy of the report if requested off the
>list. Two versions are available a 72 dpi version is 500kb and a 300dpi
>version is 1.4MB in size.
>
>I teach scenario thinking (which I used above) in two courses at NID, one
>at the Foundation Level course titled "Design Concepts and Concerns" and
>the other at the senior level titled "Systems Thinking & Design". Here I
> [...]

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If
you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the
individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority,
states them to be the views the University of Technology Sydney. Before
opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.