Re: etymology

Janice Light <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:32:33 +0000

Hallo Peter
The first time I heard this phrase a good few years ago (?15), it was
Barbara Cartland, of all people, but she may well have been quoting a
much older source!  However I have consulted 2 dictionaries of
quotations and neither contains this quotation which might mean that the
phrase is not that antique after all.  Certainly when I heard Cartland
say it, on a TV programme, she meant that what you are is made up of
what you eat, hence, be mindful of what you eat.
Jan
In message <[log in to unmask]>,
Peter Popkin <[log in to unmask]> writes
>Hi Zooarch,
>
>Does anyone out there know the etymology of the familiar phrase "you are
>what you eat"? I've googled without much luck. I'm interested in its
>antiquity and its original context - that is to say was it designed to mean
>"WHAT you are is what you eat" or "WHO you are is what you eat" - or
>perhaps it encapsulated both meanings.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Peter
>

>Peter R. W. Popkin