Re: taxonomies

Charlie Gere <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:00:58 +0100

text/plain

Hi

Pip's invocation of loss that Josephine mentions below is fascinating.
For a conservator or curator working in a traditional gallery dedicated
to the collection, preservation and display of objects its an obvious
issue. Yet to think in terms of loss is possibly to cleave to a model of
the work of art that is simply inappropriate for the kinds of ephemeral,
fluid and temporal (as well as temporary) practices that characterise a
lot of new media art. The corollary of this is that the gallery/museum
is no longer an appropriate institutional model for thinking about and
dealing with this kind of work.

Charlie