Re: CILIP subs etc

Frances Hendrix <[log in to unmask]>

Chartered Library and Information Professionals <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:05:11 -0000

text/plain

A lot of food for thought here.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chartered Library and Information Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Frank Daniels
Sent: 31 October 2004 08:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: CILIP subs etc

from Frank Daniels <[log in to unmask]>

What Frances Hendrix says in her latest post is correct: a good summary
of the situation now being faced after the AGM. For what it's worth I
would say that we should accept the principle of "rolling" membership
renewal and adjust the line between flat rate payers and salary band
related payers in the light of experience. This is a low pay profession
(by and large). Cilip should be doing much, much more to address that
issue.

However, there are other issues which have nothing to do with money (at
least not directly) and which Cilip also needs to address. Public
librarianship and the way in which it is being practised since the
advent of "New Labour" in 1997 is a cause for concern. Running courses
for chartered librarians to enable them to manage library volunteers,
and running courses to enable chartered librarians to  fill in
successfully application forms for lottery funding in order to undertake
necessary library projects do not seem to me to be a good use of Cilip's
resources. On the contrary, it seems to me to be a throwing in of the
towel on the very idea of professionalism in the face of central
government pressure for librarians to view their own profession as a
catalyst for social inclusion. Cilip seems to be aiding and abetting the
idea that it is "normal" now for a librarian to bring his or her private
political convictions into the workplace. Why? Because only in that way
can central government funding be obtained to get the "good work"
done when local authorities continue to practice parsimony towards their
library services. I generalise, I know, but I believe that this is
substantially true, and even understandable given the long years of
parsimony that libraries suffered from under Thatcherism.

Does Cilip lobby government on our behalf, as it says it does, or is
government policy towards public libraries dictating to Cilip? I think
that is a fair question to ask. It also had implications for Cilip's new
ethical principles and code of conduct. I wonder less about value for
money when paying my membership fee than I do about just what it is I am
paying it for in the first place.

Frank Daniels
ex-libris

Frank Daniels