Re: Performance Poetry

"david.bircumshaw" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Nov 2004 02:19:58 -0000

text/plain

Robert's description of the North-East poetry of the 60's/70's as well as his mention of figures like Roy Fisher is something that I
would agree with, and that was perforce left out of my quick summary of things. But, my central point remains, that there is not a
coherent tradition of avant-garde poetry in Britain. The dominant tradition remains representational, sort of empiricist, vaguely
poetic in feel, tending towards sub-Wordsworthian notions of the real language of real men (or women!). Now to make that statement
is not to necessarily descry the work of such writers, some of them are very good, and a particular poem at times might demand such
an approach, but the problems are that, firstly, that posture rules out anything other than itself, so you end up with hordes of,
say, U.A.Fanthorpe clones but all Barry MacSweeney's disbarred, while, secondly, you also find yourself in a poetic world of awfully
nice people who live in our village, as it were. In the city pubs you might find the populist style performance poets, who have a
set-up that is just as excluding and reputation-led as the mainstream, and in reality just as neo-bourgeois. The avant-garde
situation meantime consists of disparate people flailing around in the dark without a focus for what they're after.
The mentions of the questions about the notion of 'canon' have been interesting, such doubts must cross anyone's mind, but who, in
honesty, reads, say, fourteenth century English poetry without an awareness of the 'canonical' importance of Chaucer and his later
influence on other writers? The problem of avant-garde writing in England remains, and has done for almost a century, as the
positions of people like Don P illustrate, because no coherent school of non-mainstream writing has ever been established,
individual writers, yes, but as always with England the push towards convention, convention often brilliantly executed, remains the
focus.

Best

Dave

David Bircumshaw