ARCHIVES-NRA  2004

ARCHIVES-NRA 2004

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

RAIN 716 ID theft law, open records issues

Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:58:48 -0400

text/plain

Grant will help preserve records of local
women
By The Examiner staff
The Jackson County Histori cal Society has received a $15,600 grant to hire
a part-time staff member to assist with the rapidly growing Women's
History Collec tion.
http://www.examiner.net/stories/071504/new_071504020.shtml (

The Guardian
Police save stolen Iraqi book worth
£250,000
Maev Kennedy, arts and heritage correspondent
Wednesday July 7, 2004
The Guardian
While scores of Iraqi archae-ological sites continue to be looted
on an industrial scale and thousands of objects remain missing
from the national museum in Baghdad, a small book which has
survived 1,000 years of turbulent history is now safely in store at
Scotland Yard, and will be returned.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1255552,00.html

Kuwait News Agency
Rare books belonging to Kuwait National Museum found in Iraq - UN
source
http://www.kuna.net.kw/English/Story.asp?DSNO=647319

The Columbian
Genealogy Today: Archives are institutional memories
Thursday, July 15, 2004
CONNIE LENZEN for The Columbian
Archives are different from libraries. A library has books, microfilm, CDs and
published materials that are organized by a cataloging system. We can
search the catalog by title, author and subject. Usually, we can check out the
materials and take them home.
In an archive, you may find books, microfilm, CDs and published materials,
but the emphasis is on the storage of materials from an institution. The
archive contains the memory of that institution, the important documents that
need to be preserved. It can be a national archive, a state archive, a city
archive, a business archive and so on. The memory is incomplete because
individual pieces of paper may disappear.
http://www.columbian.com/07152004/neighbor/166502.html

The News Gazette
Cost cutting to save UI $37.4 million
http://www.news-gazette.com/story.cfm?Number=16370 (

Newsday
Tracing the trail of a house’s history
As Farmingdale celebrates its 100th anniversary, a records search provides
insights into its colorful past
BY JOHN HANC
July 10, 2004
The staffer behind the desk at the Nassau County Clerk's Office looked at me as if I'd just asked for a lifetime tax waiver.
"You want what?"
"The 1915 census."
"Whoa," he said. "That's deep. You're going to have to see Virginia in Room 107."
Virginia sent me to Anne, who sent me to Bob, a bespectacled senior clerk, who kept his gaze on the computer screen as I approached.
But I noticed that his brow furrowed when I made my request. "I haven't seen it in years," he said. "But I think it's down in the
basement."
http://www.newsday.com/business/realestate/ny-bzcov0716,0,2708945.story?

CFO
Sarbanes-Oxley and Information Management
Organizations have done much more in the areas of information security and paper-based
records management than in electronic records management, maintains a new study.
Stephen Taub, CFO.com
July 15, 2004
The Sarbanes-Oxley Act has led many companies to change how they manage
information, according to a study conducted by AIIM — an industry association for
enterprise content management — and Kahn Consulting.
http://www.cfo.com/article/1,5309,14627%7C%7CT%7C2241,00.html?f=home_todayinfinance

DelmarvaNow
Criminal records go undeleted
By John Vandiver
Daily Times Staff Writer
SALISBURY -- For nearly five years, criminal documents that were required by law
to be deleted from the public record had been piling up in a file cabinet at the
Wicomico County Sheriff's Office, unknown to law enforcement officials and
hundreds of residents who wrongly assumed their files were clean.
After the discovery, Sheriff R. Hunter Nelms organized a team of workers to erase
the backlog of records, completing the task in a two-week span.
http://www.dailytimesonline.com/news/stories/20040715/localnews/845687.html (

The Charlotte Observer
GOP newcomer challenges for
register of deeds
Longtime incumbent has been indicted on jobrelated
charges
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/local/states/north_carolina/counties/union/9157235.htm?

Fort Worth Star Telegram
Posted on Thu, Jul. 15, 2004
Experts juggling public records vs.
privacy on Internet
JIM VERTUNO
Associated Press
AUSTIN - Faced with a tradition of an open court
process colliding with concerns over identity theft
and privacy, media and legal experts in Texas are
debating how much access the public should have
to court records on the Internet.
http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/state/9160353.htm?1c

The Times
How Beatles memorabilia went on a mystery tour
By Jack Malvern
A CHANCE discovery of a battered suitcase in an Australian flea market appears to have solved the
mysterious disappearance of one of the most important collections of Beatles memorabilia.
For almost 30 years the “Mal Evans archive” has been considered the Holy Grail of Beatles collections,
inspiring fans in a worldwide search.
http://avantgo.thetimes.co.uk/services/avantgo/article/0,,1177669,00.html

Tuesday 13 July, 3AM
Beatles' fans twist and shout over find
It's a long and winding road from Liverpool to a flea market in the Victorian city of Geelong where a British holidaymaker chanced
upon a treasure trove of previously unheard Beatles recordings.
British tourist Fraser Caught said he made the find - including the recordings, photographs and concert programs - at a market in
Geelong when he bought a battered suitcase for $50 earlier this year.
http://au.movies.yahoo.com/040713/2/h1x.html

Globe and Mail
All you need is luck
Associated Press
London — A vacationer who
purchased a suitcase at an
Australian flea market found a
trove of Beatles memorabilia
inside, including photos,
concert programs and
unreleased recordings, the
Times newspaper reported
Tuesday.
http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040713.wbeat0713/BNStory/Entertainment/

Beatles find at Oz flea market
Jul 13 2004
Liverpool Echo
http://snipurl.com/7sxi

FT.com
Off the record with electronic messaging
By Paul Taylor in New York
Published: July 14 2004 23:26 | Last Updated: July 14 2004 23:26
As a handful of recent high-profile prosecutions in the US have shown, staff emails
and Instant Messaging (IM) traffic have become the cornerstone of many
investigations and lawsuits.
Indeed, more than one in five US employers have had staff e-mail and IM
"conversations" subpoenaed in the course of a lawsuit or regulatory probe,
according to a survey published this week.
http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1087373730854

Washington Post
Bush Signs Identity Theft Bill
By David McGuire
washingtonpost.com Staff Writer
Thursday, July 15, 2004; 4:57 PM
President Bush signed a tough new identity theft bill into law today,
legislation passed by Congress in response to evidence that the problem is
growing rapidly as more Americans use the Internet to shop and manage
their personal finances.
The Identity Theft Penalty Enhancement Act adds two years to prison
sentences for criminals convicted of using stolen credit card numbers and
other personal data to commit crimes. Violators who use that data to
commit "terrorist offenses" would get five extra years.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A51595-2004Jul15.html (

Mondaq
United States: PCAOB—Beyond The First Year
Article by Steven Berger
The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 implemented far reaching
changes in corporate governance and public disclosure for
public companies. Equally significant was the infrastructure
and direction approved by Congress for the complete
overhaul of the regulatory system for accountants and
accounting firms who furnish audit and other services to
public companies. While a substantial portion of the
changes in corporate governance and financial disclosure
required by Sarbanes-Oxley have been implemented by the
SEC, the NYSE and NASDAQ, the restructuring of the
regulation of the accounting industry has only just begun.
http://www.mondaq.com/article.asp?articleid=27309&ASIMPR=128&ASTAGS=ad.size.Banner+product.9+type.article

The Reporter
County rules vary on public access to divorce records
BETH COHEN , Staff Writer 07/15/2004
Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry wanted to keep private
his 1988 divorce records from his first wife‚ Julia Thorne.
But in Norfolk County‚ Mass.‚ where he and Thorne filed for a no-fault divorce‚ only
a portion of the divorce records were sealed.
In Norfolk County‚ the court impounds only a portion of the records – those that
deal with a couple’s financial information‚ according to a July 1 Associated Press
article.
http://www.thereporteronline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=12348391&BRD=2275&PAG=461&dept_id=466404&rfi=6

The Sentinel
County Hinders Legal Access To Public Records
By Vincent J. Swanson
Managing Editor
The Department of Housing & Community Development of Prince George's County
has repeatedly dragged its feet in complying with a state law that allows citizens the
right to access public records, as The Prince George's Sentinel has tried for over three
months, without success, to obtain copies of community block grants filed by a county
municipality.
http://www.thesentinel.com/280981691524622.php

Austin Chronicle
You Can't Have That!
'Chronicle' sues city to release APD records
BY JORDAN SMITH
At press time, the Chronicle was preparing for a hearing next week in Travis Co. district court to
determine whether the city of Austin is required under state open-records law to release a year's worth of
Austin Police Department time sheets and off-duty contract logs for two former APD officers who the
city says are currently under investigation.
http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2004-07-16/pols_feature4.html

St. Petersburg Times
VA public records? Pay $1.2-million
By PAUL DE LA GARZA, Times Staff Writer
Published July 15, 2004
ST. PETERSBURG - The public records request asked for every document dealing
with the troubled $472-million trial computer system at Bay Pines VA Medical
Center.
The Department of Veterans Affairs told the St. Petersburg Times it would turn
over the documents - for $1.2-million. It asked for the money up front in the form
of a certified check or money order.
http://www.sptimes.com/2004/07/15/Southpinellas/VA_public_records_Pay.shtml

Computerworld
Court Upholds Calif. E-voting Ban
Advocates for the disabled claimed it was discriminatory
http://www.computerworld.com/governmenttopics/government/legalissues/story/0,10801,94461,00.html?nas=DM-94461

Line56
Microsoft Offers IM Interoperability
http://www.line56.com/articles/default.asp?ArticleID=5801

Computerworld
Banks, Brokerages Dogged by Message Storage Rules
Mandates for IM, e-mail retention pose IT challenges
http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/software/groupware/story/0,10801,94303,00.html?nas=DIS-94303

Haaretz
Yearning for an analog life
By Yuval Dror
"Nostalgia," says a definition in Israel's Even Shusan
dictionary, "is embracing the memory of days gone
by." It can be a longing for people, a period, or even
technology. It usually takes years for people to
develop a nostalgia for some technology, but in the
age of the computer and the Internet, everything
takes less time. A decade has yet to pass since
electronic mail became available to the majority of
people, but some already miss letters written by hand
and posted.

Decatur Daily Democrat
Property tax record cards to be posted
Adams County Informations System Manager Pat Norton told the county council this week that
he will soon post all the county's property tax record cards from the assessor's office on the
Internet, because they are public documents.
http://www.decaturdailydemocrat.com/articles/2004/07/15/news/news/news03.txt

--
Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Richmond, Va