Re: Non-fiction Reader Development

Penny Garrod <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:28:44 +0100

Hi again
I've just read Andrew's comments and saw an immediate link with ebooks. The
handful of public libraries currently developing ebooks services have
identified a possible market for ebooks in the 'how to' range as well as
manuals (car repairs/DIY etc.)and healthcare books; also travel books, cook
books, sport, pet care etc. - these are reference texts which people want to
dip in and out of i.e task based rather read from cover to cover and ideally
suited to electronic format. However, suppliers and aggregators are offering
mostly IT/business ref texts and lots of stuff aimed at the academic sector
rather than UK public libraries, which is a big market with more take-up at
present.
The netLibrary User Group is working on content however, and I will take
Andrew's comments and the results of Madeleinse's survey to the next meeting in
December.
Regards,
Penny Garrod

Penny Garrod