Help for HERFORUM Archives

HERFORUM Archives

HERFORUM@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

HERFORUM Home

HERFORUM  October 2003

HERFORUM October 2003

Re: OS positional accuracy improvement programme

Kev Beachus <[log in to unmask]>

Issues related to Sites & Monuments Records <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Oct 2003 07:55:02 +0000

New OS Mapping?  You Lucky ....Lucky.....

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/07/03 11:36am >>>
Dear all
In Gloucestershire we have just been made aware (communication is not a high
priority here) that some of our OS base mapping has been updated and shifted
anything up to 5m by the OS positional accuracy improvement programme. This
process was started in 2001 and has now covered about a quarter of the
county. We are in position where some of our polygons are accurate (ie those
digitised after 2001) but sit alongside others that are not accurate because
the base mapping has shifted. I am tempted to take the view that the data
was digitised at 1:10,000 and is inaccurate anyway so I may as well leave it
but the problem becomes too big to ignore in urban areas where the polygons
were (generally) more accurately digitised.

I know that a decent GIS (unlike ours) would be able to rubber-sheet the SMR
data to take account of the changes but I would be interested to know how
others are dealing with the issue?

All the best
Tim

> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Tim Grubb - SMR Officer
> Gloucestershire County Council Archaeology Service
> Environment Dept.
> Shire Hall
> Gloucester
> GL1 2TH
>
> Tel: (01452) 425705
> Fax: (01452) 425356
> Email: [log in to unmask]
> Web: http://www.gloscc.gov.uk/archaeology/

----
This email was sent from an email address under the control of Babtie Group Ltd, a company registered in Scotland, registration number SC141100 and having its registered office at 95 Bothwell Street, Glasgow - known hereafter as the Company.

Privileged/confidential information may be contained in this email. If you have received this email in error, please destroy all copies in your possession or control and notify the sender by reply email. Recipients may not forward, disclose or copy this email to any third party without the prior consent of the Company. The Company does not accept liability for any changes made to this email after it was sent.

Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of the Company are neither given nor endorsed by the Company.

The Company monitors email sent to or from email addresses under its control.
For more information about Babtie Group visit our new website at www.babtie.com