BRITARCH August 2003

explorator 6.16

David Meadows <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 17 Aug 2003 10:26:26 -0400

explorator 6.16                                  August 17, 2003
Editor's note: Depending on your mail software, some urls may
wrap (especially those from the Telegraph) which will require
you to rebuild the url at your end; if you get a 'file not
found', check to see if the url wrapped on you. Most urls should
be active for at least eight hours from the time of publication.

For your computer's protection, Explorator is sent in plain text
and NEVER has attachments. Be suspicious of any Explorator which
arrives otherwise!!!

Thanks to Arthur Shippee,  Bill Kennedy, Dave Sowdon, Elizabeth
Griesman, Glenn Meyer, Hernan Astudillo, 'Hyltoncj', Gene
Barkley, John McMahon, Joseph Lauer, Kate Gilbert, Louis A. Okin,
Leanne Archer, Maurice O'Sullivan, Paul Cowie, Pippin Michelli,
W. Richard Frahm, Yonatan Nadelman, and Sally Winchester for
headses upses this week (as always hoping I have left no one out).

AFRICA, EUROPE, AND ASIA
A statue of Kakar, one of the servants of Amon was unearthed this
week:

http://www.uk.sis.gov.eg/online/html10/o140823e.htm

Harvard Magazine has a nice feature on Mark Lehner and his work:

http://www.harvard-magazine.com/on-line/070391.html

Archaeologists have found evidence which attests to the intensity
of the earthquake of January 18, 749 which hit eastern
Mediterranean (it's kind of difficult to call it the "Middle East"
at that time):

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=326912

There's a Reuters piece circulating which is a sort of touristy/
overview thing on the challenges and history of the excavation
of Puteoli/Pozzuoli:

http://tinyurl.com/k9ov (Yahoo)

Metal detectorists has found (how come they never seem to
stumble?) the oldest Roman military diploma ever found in
the UK (the Guardian here really stretches to try and make a link
to modern times):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,1016251,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/k9u3

A piece of Roman glass engraved with an image of a gladiator
has been found in a Northampton field:

http://tinyurl.com/k9ug

A while ago we mentioned a move for a ploughing ban to protect
Roman remains near Verulamium ... seems the project might have
legs:

http://tinyurl.com/k9sr (St. Alban's Observer)

One I missed somehow ... there's a new museum for Mycenae:

http://tinyurl.com/k9ti (AthensNews)

An Iron Age coin hoard has been found in Norfolk:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/3147527.stm

... while a similarly-dated coin die has been found in
Hampshire:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/dorset/3156829.stm

A Viking burial site has been found near a busy street in Dublin:

http://tinyurl.com/k9q3 (Irish Independent)

The search for the Saraswati River (India) has turned up a
number of sites:

http://tinyurl.com/k9q9 (New India Express)

The latest on the results of the Ayodhya dig:

http://tinyurl.com/k9vk (New India Express)
cf. http://washingtontimes.com/world/20030811-091917-9174r.htm

A nice overview of conservation work being done in Old Cairo:

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2003/651/he1.htm

A 12th-century bronze bell shrine was recently discovered in
Northern Ireland:

http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?pt=n&id=35755
http://tinyurl.com/k9q8 (Telegraph -- photo)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3144127.stm (photo)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,1016831,00.html

Archaeologists have made a "significant find" at the Mary Rose
site (but won't tell us until Monday ... grumble):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/dorset/3157767.stm

THE AMERICAS
John Noble Wilford has finally gotten around to giving the
(excellent) John Noble Wilford treatment to the Inca-knots-are
writing story which first broke a few months ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/12/science/12INCA.html

North Carolina's copy of the Bill of Rights has been found ...
but now there's a custody battle over it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/11/national/11DOCU.html

A report on the excavation of Milton House (somewhere in Wisconsin,
I think):

http://www.gazetteextra.com/fay081503.asp

The wreck of the Republic appears to have salvage as well as
historical value:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/17/national/17WREC.html
ALSO OF INTEREST
Well, since we (Canadians) were given the blame for the blackout,
we might as well blame us as well for affecting the climate of
Europe some eight millennia ago:

http://tinyurl.com/k9uv (Yahoo)

The latest on the DNA front is also the latest on the Oetzi
front ... seems he was involved in a 'combat situation' with at
least four people prior to his death:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/951893.asp
http://tinyurl.com/k9ob (Telegraph)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3146069.stm
http://tinyurl.com/k9pl (AGI)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,1017441,00.html
http://www.mg.co.za/Content/l3.asp?ao=18972
http://www.lexpress.mu/display_article.php?news_id=2333
http://tinyurl.com/jxuf (CNN)
http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/story.jsp?story=433095

The latest 'recreate the face' project was given to Nefertiti ...
this article is mostly hype for an upcoming tv program (on tonight
in Canada!):

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_809031.html

In case you missed it a few months ago ... there's a theory
afoot that there was a theory afoot that Rome was founded by a
woman:

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20030512/rome.html

This is actually a development on something I totally forgot to
include in last week's issue ... Britain has placed an export ban
on the sogennant "Jenkins Venus" in an attempt to keep in in the
UK:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/12/arts/12ARTS.html

The New Yorker has a nice overview of the history of childhood:

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/books/?030818crbo_books

Another look at Galileo, who wasn't as smart as his press releases
seemed to indicate (or at least that's the spin presented):

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/12/science/12ESSA.html

... meanwhile, the 'world' has voted Sir Isaac Newton the
"greatest Briton" (the beeb seems somewhat desperate to find
news, no?):

An interesting piece on the 'cult' of Genghis Khan:

http://tinyurl.com/k9p2 (BBC)

I think I mentioned this one already, but what the heck ... the
Guardian has a piece on folks who believe that Noah's Ark is out
there somewhere:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,2763,1015350,00.html
MAGAZINES AND JOURNALS
Digressus 3 (Supplement 1 ... Romanization):

http://www.digressus.org/ (full text)
ON THE WEB
The IAA's final reports on the Jehoash inscription and the
James Ossuary:

http://www.bibleinterp.com/articles/Final_Reports.htm

An interesting page on Maria Theresa thalers:

http://www.jdsworld.net/article/m_theresa_thalers.html

The Lejre Experimental Centre (Denmark) last week held a 'Viking
Fashion Show' ... the Centre's website is worth poking around:

http://www.english.lejrecenter.dk/851.0.html
NEW ONLINE BOOKS
Jesse B. Carter, *The Religion of Numa and other Essays on the
Religion of Ancient Rome*:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/numa/index.htm
CRIME BEAT
Three people were charged with looting an archaeological site in
Louisiana:

http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/081603/new_looting001.shtml
AT ABOUT.COM
Since both the Ancient History and Archaeology sites at About.com
have become blogs, it seems more appropriate to list them in the
'other sources' section below ...
EXHIBITIONS
Illuminating the Renaissance:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0808/p25s02-alar.html
CLASSICIST'S CORNER
Interesting bit of of LatCon in a piece on Bach's Morimur (scroll
down a bit):

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/arts/music/classical/reviews/n_8732/

In case you missed it, Mel Gibson's 'Passion' movie now has a
fansite on the web:

http://www.passion-movie.com/home.html

Guess which A-level exams have the lowest failure rate this year:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1018098,00.html

Peter Jones:

http://tinyurl.com/k9x8

Akropolis News in Classical Greek:
http://www.akwn.net/

Radio Finland's Nuntii Latini
http://www.yle.fi/fbc/latini/trans.html

Radio Bremen's Der Monatsrückblick - auf Latein
http://www.radiobremen.de/online/latein/

U.S. Weather in Latin:
http://latin.wunderground.com/
REPEATS
Caligula's Palace:

http://stacks.msnbc.com/news/950860.asp?cp1=1
http://tinyurl.com/k9oe (IOL)
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20030811/caligula.html
http://tinyurl.com/k9pg (Yahoo)
http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20030808-040256-6072r.htm

Delphic Oracle:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/08/15/1060936055066.html

Drake's Secret Voyage:

http://tinyurl.com/k9oa (Telegraph)

Zeus Hypsistos:

http://tinyurl.com/k9tn
OTHER SOURCES OF ARCHAEOLOGICAL NEWS
About.com Ancient History (blog):

http://ancienthistory.about.com/

About.com Archaeology (blog):

http://archaeology.about.com/mbody.htm

Ancient World Web Breaking News Page:

http://julen.net/ancient/breaking.html

Archaeologica:

http://www.archaeologica.org/NewsPage.htm

Archaeology Magazine's Newsbriefs:

http://www.archaeology.org/magazine.php?page=0305/newsbriefs/index

Bible and Interpretation Breaking News:

http://www.bibleinterp.com/news.htm

CBA Newsfeed:

http://www.britarch.ac.uk/newsfeed/index.html

CBA Archaeoblog:

http://www.britarch.ac.uk/archaeoblog/

Classics in Contemporary Culture (blog?):

http://www.people.memphis.edu/~mhooker/ccc.html

Cronaca (blog):

http://www.cronaca.com/

Francis Deblauwe's 'Iraq War and Archaeology' site:

http://cctr.umkc.edu/user/fdeblauwe/iraq.html

Maritime Underwater Archaeological News:

http://www.munarchaeology.com/munarchaeology/news/main.htm

Michael Ruggeri's Ancient America and Mesoamerica News:

http://community-2.webtv.net/@HH!35!F6!26C030D734B7/Topiltzin-2091/Ancie
ntAmericaand/

Mirabilis.ca (blog):

http://www.mirabilis.ca

Paleojudaica (blog):

http://paleojudaica.blogspot.com

Phluzein (blog):

http://www.binref.com/phluzein/

Stone Pages Archaeo News:

http://www.stonepages.com/news/

Texas A&M Anthropology News Site:

http://www.tamu.edu/anthropology/news.html

EXPLORATOR is a weekly newsletter representing the fruits of
the labours of 'media research division' of The Atrium. Various
on-line news and magazine sources are scoured for news of the
ancient world (broadly construed: practically anything relating
to archaeology or history  prior to about 1700 or so is fair
game) and every Sunday they are delivered to your mailbox free of
charge!
mailto:[log in to unmask]

To send a 'heads up' to the editor or contact him for other
reasons:
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Explorator is Copyright (c) 2003 David Meadows. Feel free to
distribute these listings via email to your pals, students,
teachers, etc., but please include this copyright notice. These
links are not to be posted to any website by any means (whether
by direct posting or snagging from a usenet group or some other
email source) without my express written permission. I think it
is only right that I be made aware of public fora which are
making use of content gathered in Explorator. Thanks!