NEWSFILM  August 2003

NEWSFILM August 2003

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

End of the British Universities Newsreel Scripts Project

Luke McKernan <[log in to unmask]>

The study of cinema newsreels and their use in historical research <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Aug 2003 17:12:00 +0100

text/plain

Dear NEWSREELS subscribers,

On Thursday last, July 31st, the British Universities Newsreel Scripts
Project came to an end. Today, the last batch of digitised documents went
up online, taking us beyond our planned target to a final figure of 80,221
documents published - a number of which are repeated, so we're actually
offering 92,719 pages online.

At the same time, we have also released our 'interactive programmes map', a
means to show some of the digitised brochures, sports programmes, notices
etc which came with some of the newsreel documentation, and which we have
arranged around a map of Britain. Owing to rights issues, this feature is
restricted to ac.uk domains and BUFVC members.

You may also notice a general reorganisation of our web site to accommodate
these changes.

The BUNSP has achieved many more things besides the 80,000 documents. Since
the project began in full in 2000, we have produced a biographical database
of newsreel staff, a database of abstracts of newsreel literature, audio
interviews with simultaneous transcripts, Mass-Observation documents, a
prize for newsfilm studies, and links to downloadable newsreels from the
Pathe web site.

The BUNSP was a four-year digitisation project, funded by the Arts &
Humantities Research Board. The newsreel database will continue to be
maintained by the BUFVC, and regular users should look out for new features
in the coming months.

Luke McKernan
Head of Information
British Universities Film & Video Council
77 Wells Street
London W1T 3QJ
Tel: 020 7393 1508
Fax: 020 7393 1555