BRITARCH July 2003

CIA Tenth Congress

Gerard Alan Latham <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Jul 2003 20:13:35 +0100

 From Mike Rumbold:

Council for Independent Archaeology

This is to remind you about our tenth Congress  on the 30th /31st
August at Sheffield University.

We have a well balanced programme for our tenth Congress starting, after
the AGM, with:

“Public Archaeology and Local Societies”.

Contributions from English Heritage, the CBA, IFA and Time Team (fresh
from the Big Dig) will give us plenty to contemplate. Speakers have been
asked to define 'Public Archaeology' as they understand the term, and
then talk for ten minutes around the subject.

Time will be allowed for audience participation and feed back, and we
hope for plenty of it.

Then to the fun part of the programme:-

Presentations from the “British Archaeological Pitt Rivers Award”
finalists will, I am sure, impress us all with their dedication and
skills. Hopefully they will also inspire other groups to enter this very
prestigious competition.

There is plenty of advice available for getting grants for specific
projects. The Millennium Dome was an example where money was obtained
without thinking it all through. We will be looking at some successful
grants and how they were dealt with.  A few thousand pounds can be as
difficult as billions if your group is responsible for its disposition
and getting value for money.

We all love success, especially when it comes from predicted disasters.
You will have heard of our low cost Resistivity Meter. The impetus came
from  our Congress in Sheffield four years ago. Since that time a
machine, with accompanying software, has been developed and fully
tested. Some seem to think that a low cost machine will have low quality
results. Think again!

More than fifty are now in constant use in the UK, Canada, US and on
mainland Europe. Feed back on results has been no less than amazing, a
tribute to Bob Randall, the designer, and to Charles Corner, who
produces the superb stainless steel frames. The weekend’s programme
includes illustrated talks from archaeologists who are using the
machines. Bob will be on hand to give advice where necessary. If you, or
your group, is contemplating such a machine this is a wonderful
opportunity to see and discuss it fully. The machines are only made to
specific order.

Please try to attend what has traditionally been a fun weekend, and if
you would really like to join in the spirit of the event you could mount
an exhibition or display of your work in the large hall available.

Please Contact Mike Rumbold for application forms or further
information:

Mike Rumbold   Secretary   Council for Independent Archaeology
Horseshoes   Main Street   Upper Stowe   NORTHAMPTON   NN7 4SH
01327 340 855

Mike Rumbold <[log in to unmask]>

--
Gerard Alan Latham.  Moderator,  sci.archaeology.moderated
mailto:[log in to unmask]