BRITARCH May 2003

Re: Armorial Devices

Trevor Dunkerley <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 23 May 2003 20:48:27 -0700

Dear List,

Many thanks to all who sent me pointers which I will follow up. For those
who requested a description and further information the armorial carving was
found in Combe Martin, North Devon.

The shield design is surrounded by a series of flamboyant heavy carving of
scrolls, and what appear to be acanthus leaves. The armorial appears almost
top-heavy with most of this flamboyant carving above and to the top right
and left of the shield.

The shield appears cut into quarters. Covering the 3 o'clock quarter line is
a large inverted V. Below this in the 3 to 6 o'clock quarter appears a large
globe with 4 smaller globes at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock to it. This carving is
in the top right of the quarter and there may be a second in the bottom left
of the quarter.

Above the inverted V in the 12 to 3 o'clock quarter may be a crown the
centre of which is in line with the point of the inverted V.

In the 6 to 9 o'clock quarter the carving is difficult to make out but there
appears to 2 diagonal dots carved into the stone pointing from 20 to to 10
past. There are a series of two more sets of these dots above these.

Covering the 9 o'clock quarter line there appears to be an axe head pointing
towards the west. I cannot make anything out in the 9 to 12 o'clock quarter.

This armorial was found about 20 years ago within 500 yards of what had been
the ruins of the Manor house. It apparently fell down in disrepair in the
early 1800's. The armorial has been half buried in someone's garden since.

The Lords of the Manor for Combe Martin were:

William of Faleise = Gera de Burce = Martin - Noted in Domesday as owner
from 1068.
Robert Fitz Martin and other then
Martins down to
Nicholas La Audley = Joan d. 1332
Hudleys - o.s.p. reverts to Crown
1384 Grant to John Holland son of Joan Fair Maid of Kent - o.s.p. reverts to
Crown
1485 Grant to Lady Margaret, Countess of Richmond, mother Henry VII -
reverts to Crown
1509 Grant to Sir Ackland Pollard
Sir John Pollard sold to Hancock
Hancock sold to Eusticke
Eusticke sold to Sir George Watson, Bart.
To Sir Charles Watson, Bart who sold to Snell.

I hope this helps. I can email 2 jpegs of the armorial if others would like
to see same.

Kindest regards,

Trevor