This is definitely not a dig (ooh bad pun) at Bamburgh and the excellent
work that it does.
The problem that I and many others have is put best by Paul himself
"What I can say though, is that we have cut our costs to the bone and I
believe we are one of the most competitively priced of this type of
excavation. Still, I do believe that people should not have to pay for
their archaeological training and that the mentors and teachers should be
paid equitably. The sad reality is we cannot afford it. Yet...."
Bamburgh should have greater support from HLF should have support from
Govt. Agencies, should have support from every possible avenue ... it
should not be in a position of the sad reality of relying on the goodwill of
archaeologists, funders etc. I hope that they succeed in the long term ..
the aims and optimism are there in bucket loads by the look of it. Question
is how do we force the issue - that archaeology needs funding from the
Rowan suggests that good people are lost in every profession .. that sad
cold fact is this :
BAJR Poll 21st Nov 2002
1.) Yes - (Aged 17 - 25) 152 15%
2.) No - (Aged 17 - 25) 181 18%
3.) Yes - (Aged 26 - 35) 149 15%
4.) No - (Aged 26 - 35) 238 24%
5.) Yes - (Aged 36 - 45) 100 10%
6.) No - (Aged 36 - 45) 83 8%
7.) Yes - (Aged 46 - 55) 50 5%
8.) No - (Aged 46 - 55) 8 1%
9.) I am nearly there - can't wait! 4 0%
10.) I am nearly there - I'll never give up though! 21 2%
What this shows is a massive wastage (beyond any other) basically you have a
4% chance of being an archaeologist by the time you retire.... 96% fall by
So who is doing something about all these issues? IFA? RESCUE? CBA?
I would say Bamburgh and others like them (I count my cynical self in there
too as I am involved 2 community projects and soon be starting a training
excavation in East Lothian) are trying to - so where is the support where is
the backup? As I have said before ... answers on a very small postcard - or
will I be pleasantly surprised.