RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK Home

RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK  April 2003

RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK April 2003

Re: RM policies/strategies

Reynold Leming <[log in to unmask]>

The UK Records Management mailing list <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:57:14 +0100

Reply below...> Although an archivist of nearly three years I have until now always managed to avoid RM, no longer however.  I am trying to establish a RM policy for this organisation but having never actually seen a written policy myself it would be of use if I cold see some examples, therefore this is a request for help, if anyone out there has a RM policy that they wouldn't mind me seeing, all or part of, I would be very grateful.  At present we don't even have a centralised filing system so I think my first step is a records inventory to find out what we actually do have, but it would be useful to see some examples of paperwork to use as guidelines in the next steps.

Thank you,

Catherine

Catherine Taylor
Archivist
Bishopsgate Institute <

Catherine,

Hi,

For theory please see http://www.caldeson.com/RIMOS/xanuum.html

If you have some budget, there is useful guidance published by the BSI, http://www.bsi-global.com/Portfolio+of+Products+and+Services/IT+Information/Doc+Management/Popular+Products/index.xalter

See also the DIRKS methodology http://www.naa.gov.au/recordkeeping/dirks/summary.html

Also the Public Record Office site http://www.pro.gov.uk/recordsmanagement/erecords/default.htm
and http://www.pro.gov.uk/recordsmanagement/standards/default.htm

Good luck,
Reynold.

Reynold Leming
Commercial Director
Mint Business Solutions Ltd
Failand House, 22 Newbridge Road, Bath, BA1 3JZ
Tel: 01225 311993
Email: [log in to unmask]
Information Url: http://www.thedocumentsite.co.uk
Corporate Url: http://www.mintsolutions.co.uk

'From Information to Innovation'
The Mint MCI Knowledge Management Solution