The Disability-Research Discussion List

Managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds

Help for DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Archives

DISABILITY-RESEARCH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH Home

DISABILITY-RESEARCH  April 2003

DISABILITY-RESEARCH April 2003

Re: People of color w/ disabilities who are LGBT....

Mitzi Waltz <[log in to unmask]>

Mitzi Waltz <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:42:31 +0000

Jim (and anyone else who's interested):
There is a lot of work out there on learning
disabilities and sexuality, most of it pretty dire.
In my area (autism) there's one OK source:

Demetrious Haracopos and Lennart Pederson, "Sexuality
and Autism, Danish Report," http://www.autismuk.com/
index9sub.htm

Then there's the TEACCH report on sex education,
which makes some mighty big assumptions on
hetrosexuality:

http://www.autismuk.com/index9sub1.htm

Then there's a really bad source, John Money. Money
is one of those who still thinks autism is caused by
abuse. That said, you may find some information of
use (case studies) in his book "The Kaspar Hauser
Syndrome of "Psychosocial Dwarfism": Deficient
Statural, Intellectual, and Social Growth Induced by
Child Abuse." I know of one transgender person with
autism who was "treated" by Money as a child.
If you're not familar with Money, go read "As Nature
Made Him" by John Colapinto before you dive into the
Caspar Hauser book. His "science" really is a load of
bollocks, and there are other concerns regarding his
work with vulnerable young people that I won't go
into, but Colapinto does.

You might want to speak with Lynn Moxon, a
psychologist with ESPA (European Services for People
with Autism, here in Sunderland UK), as autismand
sexuality is a research interest of hers.

I'm afraid I can't help you much with the PWC
dimension, though.

Good luck, do share what you find or good sources you
find on list.

-- M. Waltz