Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: careless relocations

Thomas Herron <[log in to unmask]>

Sidney-Spenser Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 16 Mar 2003 17:38:05 +0000

text/plain

Dear Andrew,

I'm happy to disagree with you, too.  I apologize for putting you on the
defensive, as I certainly don't believe that you would wish to justify
Spenser's (New) "English policy" in Ireland.  As for so "carelessly" quoting
Spenser's complicated tract "to my advantage" (something I think the great
man would have approved of in diplomacy such as ours), in my defense I must
again (more carefully) cite McCabe's *Spenser's Monstrous Regiment* pp.
91-2, wherein McCabe quotes the same passage that I did in the context of
discussing the infamous famine passage a few sophisticated pages earlier.
He reads it as explicitly encouraging tactics which include famine... indeed
McCabe goes a step farther, and reads this later passage as a promotion of
FURTHER famine to outdo the horrific (ca. 30,000 deaths) Munster desolation,
but this time in UIster, where the Desmond domino would now be relocated to
topple the O'Neills and O'Donnells:

"Far from recoiling from the experience  of the 1580s Spenser [NB:  not
"Irenius"] demands that it be repeated in the 1590s and, to the extent that
Ulster is less fertile than Munster, the results of a Northern famine will
be proportionately worse: 'they would quicklye Consume themselves and devour
one another' (*Prose* [i.e., *View*], 158).  The plan is not just to repeat,
but to outdo, the horrors of recent history by suppressing the impediment of
'compassion':  'Therefore by all meanes it muste be forsene and assured that
after once entringe into this Course of reformacion, there be afterwardes no
remorse or drawinge backe, for the sighte of anie suche rufull obiectes as
muste theareuppon followe...' " (McCabe 92)

Truth be told, my careless "this" does indeed refer not to famine
specifically, but rather the "necessary" "spoilation" by English soldiers in
reaction to the same by the Irish (whom you, mysteriously, label as
"itinerant," as if they didn't live on or near or have prior claim to the
land they spoiled and were spoiled on?).  Please note, however, that
spoilation (including billetting or "coign and livery") takes food from the
mouths of people and helps to starve them.  Our argument on that point, at
least, is academic.

Nor is McCabe howling in the wilderness.  The same argument regarding the
general tenor of the famine passage and its barbaric environs as distinctly
unsympathetic, even opportunistic, towards the Irish has been argued by
Hadfield ("The Course of Justice:  Spenser, Ireland and Political Discourse"
*Studia Neophilologica* 65 (1993): 190), Maley (*Salvaging Spenser*... 64)
and others, as you well know.  Among historians, as opposed to these
historically minded critics, the question is not whether Spenser promoted
brutal policies (including famine) in Ireland but how unique or innovative
he was in doing so (Canny vs. Brady).  To therefore claim, as you do, that
Spenser is "not proposing that they be starved," is to row against the tide;
  I'd rather surf with it.   Insofar as Spenser promoted the use of martial
law in Ireland, as the Young Turk of Cork, historian David Edwards, has
recently argued ["Ideology and experience:  Spenser's *View* and martial law
in Ireland."  *Political Ideology in Ireland, 1541-1641*  Ed. Hiram Morgan.
Four Courts Press,  1999, pp. 127-57], then he condoned the tactical use of
starvation:
"In the *View* Spenser [not "Irenius"] advocated the wholesale slaughter of
the Irish as a regrettable but necessary step in the furtherance of
England's long-term interests in the country, and he maintained that this
could best be accomplished by a process of all-out war, characterized by
state-induced famine and summary executions." (Edwards 127).  We might
consider Edwards extreme but he recently organized and promoted his views at
a recent one-day conference, held in April in Collins Barracks, Dublin, to
very little protest from an erudite audience.

Certainly Spenser is no Pol Pot; wholesale genocide is not an option, given
that he did believe in pardons on (New) English terms (by contrast, the more
moderate Archbishop Loftus and Ormond proposed pardoning Desmond himself),
and given that he and Raleigh needed people around to make money for them
once the dust cleared.  But the dust needed to be cleared as surely as parts
of the population (so kindly "relocated" to either hell or Connaught, as a
later phrase would have it... cf. again McCabe for a comparison of Grey to
Cromwell, and Maley *Salvaging...* 124 ff on the coincidental purpose of
finally publishing the *View*, in 1633, as incitement for the earl of
Strafford, who arrived in Ireland that year).

Indeed, I would be so cynical as to argue that the famine passage, at least,
is a perverse advertisement for the fertility of the land: fertilized with
corpses, left fallow for the next occupiers (policy papers on Ireland
usually advertised the concommitant fertility of the land).  Perhaps to read
it this way is to read it "allegorically," whatever that means in the
context of the *View*; to read it with this slant is not to "disassociate"
the author, or even Irenius, from the horror of the episode, but to invest
them (and the optimistically-opportunistically minded reader) further in it,
to clarify through hidden meanings the direction of Spenser's pragmatic
purpose --whatever failure of moral philosophy may conveniently occur in the
process-- in Ireland by demonstrating how even the most pitiable episode has
an ulterior motive linked to an image of re-fertilizing (with re-conquest)
of the waste soil.

From this perspective, there IS a moral weight attendant upon the pragmatic
and thriving in desolation: the hopeful replanting of the wasted soil with
New English Protestantism (as the desolate Irish refugee, the  green-sick
Una, is promised a fertilizing by RCK), which is also a recurrent goal
directing much of the allegory of the Faerie Queene; I think that McCabe is
saying as much in his constant recircling, musically, to the planting motif
in his most recent book (apologies to Prof. McCabe).  This re-planting drive
appears here, in the View, as well.  M.M. Gray's long-ago comparison of the
wording and image of Despair to the wording and image of these ghostly
crawling carrions in the *View* therefore has a prophetic power in the light
of current criticism; Una rescues RCK from Despair --or, read in one way,
the Munster waste post-Desmond-- by frankly confronting it and instead
proffers herself, and hope, in Despair's place; just as the words of Spenser
(via Irenius, whom I don't find fully ironic) consoles the horrified reader
of the Munster landscape in the *View*, by first demonstrating its (and our)
fallen and pitiable condition, but then signifying ways of controlling and
reinvesting in the landscape and ourselves [intriguingly, the View may have
a bifold rhetorical structure that belies its smaller, sentence-level
ironies: the second half increasingly promotes the idea of order through
militarized construction (note Lord Deputy Perrot's interest in building
forts and bridges by the number 7), as a correction on the chaotic
ethnographic jumble of the first half; in the center of the View, roughly,
is a turning-point(?) built on a discussion of the use of religion; in it
Irenius determines the need to continue with reforming the body instead of
the soul, the sword over the word, as necessity demands for the purpose of
the country's and colonizer's rejuvenation:  "for ere a new be brought in,
the old must be removed."  Renwick ed. (c. 1970), p. 86; this edition has
170 pages of *View* text); such poise, Irenius!)].  If Irenius must don the
salvage rhetorical garb of  Lucian's scythian Toxaris in order to describe
this wasteland, it doesn't mean that his well-structured Pauline breastplate
doesn't glimmer from beneath and prevent a more inward corruption of his
very soul, while peeping from beneath to shine into the eyes of the careful
reader, to help his spirit and profits grow in that dark corner of Ireland.
Secretary Spenser is no Clarion; he spies the secretive webs of Irish policy
and rhetoric about him, and helps to weave them, and knows how to imitate
the spider to crawl in and out of them, all the while trusting that he is
sheltered by his holy hidden exoskeleton from the winds of heaven's wrath.
--TH