MEDIEVAL-RELIGION@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MEDIEVAL-RELIGION Home

MEDIEVAL-RELIGION  February 2003

MEDIEVAL-RELIGION February 2003

Eschatology conference

Vadim Prozorov <[log in to unmask]>

Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:29:00 +0000

Dear collegues,

I would like to invite you to participate at our virtual conference
"Eschatology. History and Present Day" which is held from February 3
till June 3, 2003
(http://www.auditorium.ru/aud/v/index.php?a=3Dvconf&c=3DsendForm&r=3Dthe=
sisSea
rch&id_vconf=3D18)

I lecture on medieval eschatology at Moscow and Novosibirsk State
Universities. I 've noticed Russian students' vivid interest to
eschatology which was somehow neglected in Russian institutions of
education both secular and orthodox and I thought it would be good to
address to wider audience (first of all to students) through Internet.
There is a special programme "Education in Russia" sponsored by the =
Open
Society Institute and within this programme they have their portal
auditorium.ru where everybody can propose a conference and if accepted
the conference will be held.

Our conference is scheduled for February 3 -- June 3, 2003. That means
that the conference has already started and those who are interested can
send their papers to me ([log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]).

I would like to cordially invite you to contribute to this conference
and to address to Russian audience with your reflections on the
questions relevant to the theme of the conference.

Since the conference addresses students it would be good if its papers
were stimulating and provocative. They can deal with any aspect of
eschatology and its impact on human life.
The Acta of the conference will be published.

Vadim Prozorov
Center for the Study of Early Christianity
Catholic University of America

Below is the announcement of the conference:

Open Society Institute (Soros Foundation) Russia
Association for the development of information technology in the field
of education "Internet-Socium"
Faculty of Philosophy, Novosibirsk State University
ESCHATOLOGY. HISTORY AND PRESENT DAY
Open Society Institute (Soros Foundation) Russia, =C0ssociation for the
development of information technologies in the field of education
'Internet-Socium'  and Faculty of Philosophy, Novosibirsk State
University hold a virtual conference Eschatology. History and Present
Day from February 3 to June 3, 2003 (www.auditorium.ru).

The directors of the conference invite to discuss various aspects of
constitution, development and perception of eschatological and
apocalyptic ideas in the frame of interdisciplinary studies.
We should also like to ask the participants to answer the following
questions:
    What can studies in the area of late antique and medieval
eschatology contribute to the culture of the twenty first century?
    What are research trends in this field?
    Can we consider European idea(s) of history in the light of the
conflict between 'gnostic' and traditional eschatological world views?
    Can we talk about the continuity of 'gnostic' world views in
'postmodern' epoch?

The conference consists of the four sections:
1.      Eschatology in the Ancient World (Paganism, Judaism, Christianty
- Middle East, Greece and Rome)
2.      Medieval Eschatology (Christianity, Judaism, Islam)
3.      Eschatological Ideas Today
4.      Crisis of Technocratic Thought and Eschatology

Requirements to the papers:
1.      max. 9000 characters;
2.      Author's name, title, position, university or institution,
phone/fax/e-mail;
3.      summary max. 1000 characters.
Please send your papers to the directors of the conference.

Dmitry A. Andreyev , associate professor, Faculty of History, Moscow
(Lomonosov) State University. [log in to unmask]

Evgeniy V. Afonasin, associate professor, School of Law, Novosibirsk
State University. [log in to unmask]

Vadim B. Prozorov, associate professor, Faculty of History, Moscow
(Lomonosov) State University. [log in to unmask]
Conference coordinator:
Tatyana A. Meshkova
Contuct us: [log in to unmask] (To the conference Eschatology)

You can find your papers in one of the above-mentioned sections.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]