MEDIEVAL-RELIGION@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MEDIEVAL-RELIGION Home

MEDIEVAL-RELIGION  February 2003

MEDIEVAL-RELIGION February 2003

Re: Day and Hour of Death

Erik Drigsdahl <[log in to unmask]>

Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 15 Feb 2003 21:44:18 +0100

Thanks Margaret - yes I have been through all of Leroquais descriptions,
including BN lat.1400. The interesting about this rubric is that it not is
preceding the genuine 'Obsecro te' on fol.24, but is attached to an utterly
poor paraphrase from the second half of the 15th cent. on fol.220v.
At the end of the 15th c. was the rubric taking on a life of its own, and
is often found out of context. Bonnie Blackburn has been so kind to send me
a  collection of related rubrics, and one of them is prefixed a common
prayer on the seven last words on the cross! (The history of the rubric
would make an excellent subject for an advanced student thesis).

Datable occurrences of the prayer 'Obsecro te' around 1480 and especially
prior are of importance. The sport is to trace it back to pope Innocenz IV
with some degree of credibility. The phenomenon in general that somebody
had a divine vision prior to their death is not so important - all
dependent on the context.
Mechtilde of Hackeborn was one of the pioneers, but her visions are too
general to be connected (or directly having inspired) the actual question.
Nothing comes out of thin air - but the times where all articles began with:
"Already the ancient Egyptians...." has gone. I prefer to keep it tight on
the issue, if possible.
Thanks to all who contributed to the question. Have a nice Sunday.
Best
Erik

At 17:04 +0100 15/02/03, Cormack, Margaret Jean wrote:
>Dear Erik,
>        Perhaps you already have this reference.
>"In a fifteenth-century Book of Hours (Bibliogh'eque Nationale de France,
>MS lat 1400)
>the user is informed "Quicumque dixerit aut super se portavit hanc
>orationem sciet horam
>sue et videbit virginem Mariam antequam moriatur ..." another from 1380
>apparently
>says nothing about the appearing of the Virgin.
>This info. is from footnote 51 on p. 215 of:
>D.C. Skemer, "Amulet Rolls and Female Devotion in the Late Middle Ages"
>Skriptorium 55 2001  pp 197-227.
>Meg

Mag.art. Erik Drigsdahl   CHD Center for Haandskriftstudier i Danmark
Kapelvej 25B 3.tv         Phone: +45 +35 37 20 47
DK-2200 Copenhagen N      Email: <[log in to unmask]>
DENMARK                   http://www.chd.dk

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]