Help for RSP_UK Archives

RSP_UK Archives

RSP_UK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

RSP_UK Home

RSP_UK  January 2003

RSP_UK January 2003

Affordable Mapping for Developing Nations

Ian Greatbatch <[log in to unmask]>

Ian Greatbatch <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Jan 2003 17:13:02 +0000

Dear All,

Happy new year and apologies for cross-posting...

I have just started work on a project for the Department for International
Development (DFID) and CASA and the University of Westminster on a project
looking at affordable mapping for developing nations.

The idea of the project is to address some of the problems of unregulated
urbanisation which can't be measured currently as there is almost no
national mapping programs in some countries, and no new maps created since,
in some cases, the 1960s.

The plan at first is to write a review of what projects have been started
in the past, plus the key techniques and references. I envisage that the
practical side will be in the area of:-

1. Automatic feature extraction to give us a good idea of the shape / size
of the cities
2. Population estimation based on lights source (i suppose) to create
thematic maps of the habitations.

I was wandering whether any of you could point me in the direction of data,
techniques and the key works in this field.

I have many resources on automatic feature extraction,edge detection and
the like. I also have access to agent-based modelling, CA algorithms and
the like, specifically for the growth of favella / shanty towns / peri-
urbanisation etc.

What i also don't have is a guide to where i can get free (or very, very
cheap - it is for the developing world after all!) satellite imagery. Or do
we have to pay for everything? I expected old data (if you haven't got any
new maps since the 1960s, then being 5 or 10 years old isn't that much of a
problem) to be freely available and to only have to pay for the new stuff.
However, after a quick trawl around the internet I can't find anything...

I am also a bit unsure about the population estimation thing.

also, did someone mention Mandelbrot and a fractal algorithm for modelling
urban growth?

I know this is a long message but any help you can give me will be greatly
appreciated..

Regards

Ian

Ian Greatbatch