FISH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

FISH Home

FISH  2003

FISH 2003

Re: MIDAS compatible database

Andrew Larcombe <[log in to unmask]>

The Forum for Information Standards in Heritage (FISH)

Tue, 9 Sep 2003 12:10:42 +0000

Lee, Edmund wrote:

>Going off at a slight tangent, perhaps a neater solution than a downloadable
>database would be a web-mounted database which projects and societies could
>use to enter / edit / query their records on a centrally held data server,
>and if so wished allow approved access by others. The pilot OASIS model for
>recording fieldwork online is heading in this direction.

As previously mentioned I think a reference implementation is essential
- it certainly makes it easier for those on a limited budget to
implement the standard, and also provides a check for those looking to
implement their own systems.

As for a web front end - generally they're less user friendly, not to
mention slower than locally hosted systems. And there is sods law which
says that your connection, or the hosting server, or something inbetween
will fall over just as you want to start entering your data.

Andrew Larcombe